Painting NEW Import Lathe?

If "stripping it down" means removing the original paint I'd say no. Just clean and scotchbrite the factory paint, mask as necessary, and have at it. Make sure you use a quality paint that won't be affected by the lubricants it will be exposed to.
Thanks everyone! Yeah, it seems a bit silly- one boring color for another boring color- but I just prefer grey machine tools.

Camus- thanks for this! That’s kind of were my head was at. Just need a light scuff of the original paint and the paint over it.

I don’t have Photoshop any longer to do a good job, but I was messing with a free app last night and I think this looks way better.

Thanks everyone! Yeah, it seems a bit silly- one boring color for another boring color- but I just prefer grey machine tools.

Camus- thanks for this! That’s kind of were my head was at. Just need a light scuff of the original paint and the paint over it.

I don’t have Photoshop any longer to do a good job, but I was messing with a free app last night and I think this looks way better.
View attachment 292450

you could always do some pin striping to zhuzh it up a bit :)

stu

You could always use the machine for a while before deciding. You might get used to the color
and save yourself all that work! :)

That is exactly what David Best did....

WOW! Yes!! This is what I was looking for! Do you happen to know if there's a forum thread somewhere that chronicles these photos?

View attachment 292450
Looks much better!

Wow. That David Best conversion is incredible!

Problem with a scuff and paint job is your topcoat is only as good as as your base coat. With my experience the paint they use is garbage doesn’t bond well, chips easily and not durable to chemicals.
Maaco is having a tax return sale they’ll paint it all cover,knobs, and ways for a low 300 bucks:p

Problem with a scuff and paint job is your topcoat is only as good as as your base coat. With my experience the paint they use is garbage doesn’t bond well, chips easily and not durable to chemicals.
Maaco is having a tax return sale they’ll paint it all cover,knobs, and ways for a low 300 bucks:p

Is the original paint really that bad?? The 1236-T is only just starting to really take off in popularity, but the 1340-GT has been the flagship lathe for years and years. Seems like if the paint is not bonded well then people would be mentioning that, no? (Not arguing; just asking)

Back