H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
- Nov 18, 2012
- eac67gt - 03-08-13, 11:47 AMPainting is another one of those subjects I would like to kick around. I have sprayed more paint then I can remember and that probably is because I sprayed so much paint but did not wear a resporaitor. Years ago when I did the Mustang I would spray for hours than leave the building. As soon as I walked out the door you could instantly tell you inhaled way to much. I use to shot all lacquer based paints. Another thing is you never wore any hand protection to clean the equipment. Oh, the amount of acetone and lacquer thinner that more than likely soaked into my system. I wonder now if one day I won't get cancer from it. Many years of working in the old electronics industry also exposed me to a lot of other solvents. Combined they all had to do damage but time will tell. I am kind of getting off course here but in someways I am not because it is an issue. All these finishing processes we discuss even just creating metal dust can in time do damage. Always protect yourself. If you don't love yourself I imagine there is someone that does. This paragraph runs on and on because for some reason my RETURN button is not working. Got to figure that out. EdEdit Report IP
- xalky - 03-08-13, 12:07 PMPainting is definitely one of those subjects that should go in the group. I was restoring my 70 Nova SS back in the late 80s. I was in my early 20s then. I sprayed it with epoxy primer in my garage wearing a carbon respirator. Well, about 3-4 days later I wasn't feeling very well, so i go see my doctor and he sais to me have you been drinking a lot of alcohol lately. I said no, why? He sais, you look Jaundiced, skin yellow, whites of my eyes turning yellow. I don't remember exactly what he gave me, to clear up the jaundice, but it did clear up.
The thing is, at the time i never put 2 and 2 together that the paint is what had gotten me sick. It took me about a month to figure out what had gotten me sick after learning that i was wearing the wrong respirator. I know that I've been exp[osed to a lot of toxic stuff, Things like tons of pressure treated lumber and solvents, lead from lead paint dust, asbestos and oodles of xylol aka paint reducer. I try not to think about it too much...we're all gonna die from something.
Last edited by a moderator: