Pakistani machine shop videos... thoughts?

taiwanluthiers

Registered
Registered
I see on youtube of machine shops in Pakistan or something, and I wonder what are the thoughts?

I'm speaking of videos from youtube channel like "amazing discovery", "amazing technology" or something of that nature that shows very worn out lathe/mills... often the tool post will have a lot of play, they do not use dial indicators at all to indicate a 4 jaw chuck but instead use a spike suspended by a shaft... All the measurements are done with simple tools, tolerance of something like 0.5mm if they are lucky.

Lots of very hair raising moments, one has to wonder how much do people get hurt?

It impressive how much they accomplish with the tools they have. There's one channel where the lathe operator never uses a dial indicator or micrometer. He uses a big lathe with a 4 jaw chuck. He dials things in with a sharp wire on an indicator stand. I don't expect any of those parts to be within .0005" of the target, but often, close enough it close enough.

For the people in these videos, they likely get hurt a lot. Of course, you're not going to see that. I would imagine injuries are common. There is a huge ship breaking industry on the coast of India. On average, one person dies every day. But it's the conditions they have to work in if they want work. There's a line of people (kids, included) waiting to fill the spot.

As an adult, I take risks every day. I alone am responsible for my own safety. Fortunately for me, I can also choose to participate in an activity or not participate if I feel the risk to my safety is too great. But that's MY choice. The people in these videos also have a choice. They can work in the conditions they are given, or they can starve. Unfortunately, it's the way things are in third world environments.

Hungry people will do what it takes to survive. This is not unique to any country or continent. Every nation has gone through or is going through these situations. Sadly, without cheap labor, the world economy would collapse. And unfortunately, cheap labor also, more than likely, also means unsafe working conditions. I'm not meaning to justify any of it, I am just stating a fact as the world is today. Would it be great if things were different? Yes! But that isn't how things are. We can work to change things, but change comes slowly and always with a cost. Many countries, my own included, are not able (or willing) to pay that price.

It impressive how much they accomplish with the tools they have. There's one channel where the lathe operator never uses a dial indicator or micrometer. He uses a big lathe with a 4 jaw chuck. He dials things in with a sharp wire on an indicator stand. I don't expect any of those parts to be within .0005" of the target, but often, close enough it close enough.

For the people in these videos, they likely get hurt a lot. Of course, you're not going to see that. I would imagine injuries are common. There is a huge ship breaking industry on the coast of India. On average, one person dies every day. But it's the conditions they have to work in if they want work. There's a line of people (kids, included) waiting to fill the spot.

As an adult, I take risks every day. I alone am responsible for my own safety. Fortunately for me, I can also choose to participate in an activity or not participate if I feel the risk to my safety is too great. But that's MY choice. The people in these videos also have a choice. They can work in the conditions they are given, or they can starve. Unfortunately, it's the way things are in third world environments.

Hungry people will do what it takes to survive. This is not unique to any country or continent. Every nation has gone through or is going through these situations. Sadly, without cheap labor, the world economy would collapse. And unfortunately, cheap labor also, more than likely, also means unsafe working conditions. I'm not meaning to justify any of it, I am just stating a fact as the world is today. Would it be great if things were different? Yes! But that isn't how things are. We can work to change things, but change comes slowly and always with a cost. Many countries, my own included, are not able (or willing) to pay that price.
With automation cheap labor may not even be necessary but jobs would be a thing of the past. A CNC for example can produce parts so much faster and in spec than a manual operator, not to mention being able to cut tapers, hob gears, and do all kinds of operations that would take a manual operator days to do, but the CNC does it in an hour.

In the future only people with money will be people who owns automation equipment.

i find it amazing what they can do, but i would not trust any of the repairs

I have watched a few, and also am amazed at how much they do with so little.
....and of course, I am equally shocked by the dangers I see; long clothes near rotating equipment, no safety glasses, no decent protection (even for the eyes!) when welding, open toe or NO shoes, etc.

I think @MyLilMule summed it up well.

Brian

With automation cheap labor may not even be necessary but jobs would be a thing of the past. A CNC for example can produce parts so much faster and in spec than a manual operator, not to mention being able to cut tapers, hob gears, and do all kinds of operations that would take a manual operator days to do, but the CNC does it in an hour.

In the future only people with money will be people who owns automation equipment.
I think manual machines will not be going anywhere in some of these places. Getting a CNC machine is difficult enough. Getting a place to put it is another thing. Finding a trained operator is again difficult in these countries.

Manual machines are great for one-off parts or repairs. You won't see many people, if any, putting a cracked and welded crank case for a scooter in a CNC machine to fix it. It'll all get done manually.

And when it's more expensive if not impossible to find replacement parts, manual machines are going to be the best option.

There is a used machinery dealer near me. He is constantly shipping old manual lathes and mills to island countries and less developed nations. It is way cheaper to fix a part than it is to have a new one flown in, or have to wait months for it to come by boat.

i find it amazing what they can do, but i would not trust any of the repairs
But if it's the only, it's the only option. Risky? Yes. But necessary for survival? Probably equally as true.

But if it's the only, it's the only option. Risky? Yes. But necessary for survival? Probably equally as true.
when you arc weld a broken crankshaft and expect the engine to survive , something is wrong.
it may survive, only to break again at a critical time- no thank you
now you are wasting time

I think those videos are interesting to watch. Some people very skilled.

Looks like it works for them and they make money with it to support families. Likely a much simpler life with more leisure time and not needing much income.

Minimal safety equipment. There are probably lots of injuries.

With all they can do I just keep wondering if they are so resourceful why don’t they have any tables or chairs? Doing most work on the floor. I know it is their culture and feels right for them but lot of what they do on the floor would be way more comfortable and productive standing at a table?

when you arc weld a broken crankshaft and expect the engine to survive , something is wrong.
it may survive, only to break again at a critical time- no thank you
now you are wasting time
If your options are:

1. Weld the crank shaft and machine it, put it back in, and run it till it breaks again
2. Wait 6 months for a factory replacement at 10 times the cost

Are you prepared to have ZERO income for 6 months, plus be able to afford the correct fix? It's not like these places have unions or unemployment insurance. I understand, and agree, from you perspective and place in life. I wouldn't trust that junk either! But if it were a matter of survival, you're going to do what's necessary to survive. First world thinking does not work in these places.

Back