Pakistani machine shop videos... thoughts?

I think those videos are interesting to watch. Some people very skilled.

Looks like it works for them and they make money with it to support families. Likely a much simpler life with more leisure time and not needing much income.

Minimal safety equipment. There are probably lots of injuries.

With all they can do I just keep wondering if they are so resourceful why don’t they have any tables or chairs? Doing most work on the floor. I know it is their culture and feels right for them but lot of what they do on the floor would be way more comfortable and productive standing at a table?
It might be that their employer don't want them sitting in chairs, because it means they won't work as hard.

But long sleeves near machines, bracelets, etc. is 100% their choice unless their employer mandate them as dress codes.

They're wearing traditional clothes (which is loose as hell) near lathes and mills.

I'll bet they don't have adult kids living in the basement playing video games all day.
Hard work and risk taking builds character - something a lot of 1st world kids don't have.

People are expendable in the places you see this type of thing.

Developed countries can afford health and safety rules/laws. 3rd world countries can’t and labor is so plentiful (unskilled) its “crack open another can of machinists” when one of their workers gets sucked into the chuck and sprayed all over the surrounding floor/dirt.

I count my blessings every day that I was born in Canada.

Is Canada perfect? Heck no. We’ve got a long list of problems we need to work on, like most places.

But its a damn sight better than 80-90% of this mudball flying through space…..

Last edited:
Yes, I have watched a lot of those videos and am amazed at the crudity of so many of them, very seldom seeing any precision measuring tools, but I do know from personal experience that measurements are fairly easy to make within about .005" using a caliper and rule.

Yes, I have watched a lot of those videos and am amazed at the crudity of so many of them, very seldom seeing any precision measuring tools, but I do know from personal experience that measurements are fairly easy to make within about .005" using a caliper and rule.
I used to be called upon to cut 72" lengths of rect tube to +/- .005 using a carefully calibrated tape measure and cold saw. No problem. Of course no one had any way to check my work, but the customer never complained.

Last edited:
If your options are:

1. Weld the crank shaft and machine it, put it back in, and run it till it breaks again
2. Wait 6 months for a factory replacement at 10 times the cost

Are you prepared to have ZERO income for 6 months, plus be able to afford the correct fix? It's not like these places have unions or unemployment insurance. I understand, and agree, from you perspective and place in life. I wouldn't trust that junk either! But if it were a matter of survival, you're going to do what's necessary to survive. First world thinking does not work in these places.
Agreed!

I have watched a few, and also am amazed at how much they do with so little.
....and of course, I am equally shocked by the dangers I see; long clothes near rotating equipment, no safety glasses, no decent protection (even for the eyes!) when welding, open toe or NO shoes, etc.

I think @MyLilMule summed it up well.

Brian
They mostly use safety flip flips :)

Stu

i find it amazing what they can do, but i would not trust any of the repairs
No, especially since the metal they use is an unknown. The scrap they cram into the mix is questionable at best.
Someone needs to tell them, it is as strong as the weakest component.
They beef up springs, frames, axle housings and continue to overload the heck out of their trucks/busses.
I do agree, it is amazing what they can do with what they have. Some of those lathes have a huge wear pattern on the ways.

Back