Pakistani machine shop videos... thoughts?

They make serviceable parts, maybe not to our standards, but their entire country is based on getting the job done. I don’t fault them for doing what it takes to keep their country running, I would rather have a part today that will keep me running for the next year over waiting a month or more to get one that will last 5 years. I do cringe seeing the loose clothing they wear, but it wasn’t that long ago that German factories had beer vending machines and sold beer in their cafeterias to workers on their breaks. I personally worked in several breweries in Germany during my training where the plant workers brought us a pitcher of beer during breaks while we were working on their machines, so are we really that much better than them?

The ship crankshaft they used for the donor material is highly unlikely to be cast iron, most engines that size use forged steel that would be ideal for the compressor crank they made.
Yea I wasn't really talking about the compressor crankshaft, but there is another video where they basically threw scrap steel into a pot, melt it, then poured it into a mold to make a cast crankshaft. It machines like cast iron too.

Yea I wasn't really talking about the compressor crankshaft, but there is another video where they basically threw scrap steel into a pot, melt it, then poured it into a mold to make a cast crankshaft. It machines like cast iron too.
I didn’t realize you were talking about a different video. I have no idea if they control what scrap material goes into the melt, it does look like they throw whatever they have in there. There are cast iron crankshafts, so that is not necessarily bad, but I agree with you in that case you might not really know what you are getting.

I didn’t realize you were talking about a different video. I have no idea if they control what scrap material goes into the melt, it does look like they throw whatever they have in there. There are cast iron crankshafts, so that is not necessarily bad, but I agree with you in that case you might not really know what you are getting.
I never knew there are cast iron crankshaft, I just figure cast iron is too brittle to work as crankshaft.

I've seen quite a few impressive videos. This one especially so.

That's incredible.
Now, I don't know much about cast iron production, but my assumption is quality cast iron would not include wheel barrow frames, kitchen appliances, washing machines etc.
The long term wear of that gear may be compromised.
Nice shaper, I bet it gets a workout.

I never knew there are cast iron crankshaft, I just figure cast iron is too brittle to work as crankshaft.
Lower end crankshafts can be cast iron, a step above that is cast steel, then you get into forged cranks for the higher performance engines. You wouldn’t want a cast iron crank in a Corvette, but a low speed engine that doesn’t have high loads could be just fine with cast iron.

I know in steel mills they do throw scrap steel into the furnace, but I don't know how they make sure the final alloy is to spec and not contain stray elements, as there are many different type of steel with varying levels of chromium, manganese, molybdenum, etc. and last thing you want is some steel with the wrong kind of impurities in it.

They make serviceable parts, maybe not to our standards, but their entire country is based on getting the job done. I don’t fault them for doing what it takes to keep their country running, I would rather have a part today that will keep me running for the next year over waiting a month or more to get one that will last 5 years. I do cringe seeing the loose clothing they wear, but it wasn’t that long ago that German factories had beer vending machines and sold beer in their cafeterias to workers on their breaks. I personally worked in several breweries in Germany during my training where the plant workers brought us a pitcher of beer during breaks while we were working on their machines, so are we really that much better than them?

The ship crankshaft they used for the donor material is highly unlikely to be cast iron, most engines that size use forged steel that would be ideal for the compressor crank they made.
This is a good example of using some sort of high grade scrap of a known grade for a part, they are forging the item from chunks of old boat chain.

Stu

for example not use cast iron to make crankshafts.
I believe that cast iron has been widely used for crankshafts, at least in the past. Ford did.
"Most cast iron crankshafts have a tensile strength in the 65,000-80,000 psi range. Some companies, including Scat, will mix in graphite with its cast iron cranks to improved fatigue resistance. Nodular iron crankshafts raise the bar slightly, offering a tensile strength closer to the 100,000 psi range."

I believe that cast iron has been widely used for crankshafts, at least in the past. Ford did.
"Most cast iron crankshafts have a tensile strength in the 65,000-80,000 psi range. Some companies, including Scat, will mix in graphite with its cast iron cranks to improved fatigue resistance. Nodular iron crankshafts raise the bar slightly, offering a tensile strength closer to the 100,000 psi range."
Yea not sure the cast iron they use though, as they just take whatever they can find and throw it into the pot.

So if you throw scrap steel of varying composition into a furnace how do you get stuff like chromium, vanadium, etc. out? I guess you can lower carbon content by throwing in mild steel but how would you know what's in scrap?

Back