Pakistani machine shop videos... thoughts?

I watch those videos all the time. I find them highly entertaining and every once in a while I learn something new. But why do they all sound like minions?

Before you give the apparent "obvious" answer ("because the videos are sped up") go watch some more of them. A lot of them are filmed at 1X speed and the people still sound like that. I know Indian and Pakistani people and that's not how they sound. I suspect there is some cultural thing or trend over there, where people just expect these videos to sound like that. It's as if they were to upload a video where folks' voices sounded normal, it wouldn't get "likes" or something. Social media does weird things to people. People over there probably wonder if American women's lips are really like they see in "duck face" selfies.

I know in steel mills they do throw scrap steel into the furnace, but I don't know how they make sure the final alloy is to spec and not contain stray elements, as there are many different type of steel with varying levels of chromium, manganese, molybdenum, etc. and last thing you want is some steel with the wrong kind of impurities in it.
They sample the steel at various points to make sure the chemistry is correct before releasing it for casting. This article is a good description of how it’s done.

I watch those videos all the time. I find them highly entertaining and every once in a while I learn something new. But why do they all sound like minions?

Before you give the apparent "obvious" answer ("because the videos are sped up") go watch some more of them. A lot of them are filmed at 1X speed and the people still sound like that. I know Indian and Pakistani people and that's not how they sound. I suspect there is some cultural thing or trend over there, where people just expect these videos to sound like that. It's as if they were to upload a video where folks' voices sounded normal, it wouldn't get "likes" or something. Social media does weird things to people. People over there probably wonder if American women's lips are really like they see in "duck face" selfies.
It's entirely possible that the reason they talk like that is that their voices have been changed for privacy reasons...

as they just take whatever they can find and throw it into the pot.
Getting it done is probably more important to them than optimizing the material.
Maybe have a spectrographic analysis machine in the back room? But I'll go with the git her done idea.

Yea not sure the cast iron they use though, as they just take whatever they can find and throw it into the pot.

So if you throw scrap steel of varying composition into a furnace how do you get stuff like chromium, vanadium, etc. out? I guess you can lower carbon content by throwing in mild steel but how would you know what's in scrap?

They do "hammer" testing to pre qualify the iron scrap in this one :)

:laughing:

It's entirely possible that the reason they talk like that is that their voices have been changed for privacy reasons...
Fair enough, I hadn't considered that. I would however expect to see blurred faces too, if that were the case.

I'll bet they don't have adult kids living in the basement playing video games all day.
Hard work and risk taking builds character - something a lot of 1st world kids don't have.
Boy, you are right there. These kids in India and Pakistan usually don't have basements. Heck, a lot of them don't have homes, either. I bet that will build some character. Pooping in the streets and scavenging for food is an incredible character builder, and then they can watch their Dad get killed at work due to zero safety practices.
Yeahhhh, that character building you speak of, no thanks.

I seriously doubt that. From my experience living here in Africa, people working all day just to afford food for that day are not bothered by privacy and other western concerns like what pronoun you use to address them.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

A wise man once told me "It ain't the arrows, it's the Indian." Most of those guys are tremendous machinists to do what they do with what they have. I doubt that there are a lot of accidents. They can't afford them! They pay attention to what they are doing. Think about it. How many accidents have you had that should have been prevented but you were distracted. I have certainly had my share.

Yea not sure the cast iron they use though, as they just take whatever they can find and throw it into the pot.

So if you throw scrap steel of varying composition into a furnace how do you get stuff like chromium, vanadium, etc. out? I guess you can lower carbon content by throwing in mild steel but how would you know what's in scrap?
Exactly,
If the steel source is from giant chain links at least the brew has quality steel.
I found this,
”individual links are made from high carbon steel and and heat treated high carbon steel.

Back