Pakistani machine shop videos... thoughts?

I seriously doubt that. From my experience living here in Africa, people working all day just to afford food for that day are not bothered by privacy and other western concerns like what pronoun you use to address them.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
I was in Haiti in the early 80’s on business. The wage was $3 a day, this went to feed the families.
Things were bad then but now it’s even more of a hell hole.

A wise man once told me "It ain't the arrows, it's the Indian." Most of those guys are tremendous machinists to do what they do with what they have. I doubt that there are a lot of accidents. They can't afford them! They pay attention to what they are doing. Think about it. How many accidents have you had that should have been prevented but you were distracted. I have certainly had my share.
Earl,
I was telling my son about these videos yesterday. I said the same thing, imagine what these guys could do if they had a proper shop with good equipment.

They'd probably have to sprinkle some dirt around to make it feel lived in

I didn't know about them either- they have a special cold start feature that requires no glow plug or "hot bulb" ignition
I serviced a single cylinder Lister driving a 4,000 psi water blaster for a couple years when i was in my 20’s. I never had to do many repairs, mostly oil changes, fuel filter changes and carbon scraping. The engine had a cadence you could dance to

Those guys are cobblers...it's done by father teaching sons or uncles teaching nephews how to do this stuff. Nobody outside the family is taught how to do anything.... ever.... so you can have job security.

And since learning from family members is usually the worst way to learn anything....the true technical skills needed are not passed down. Those machines represent a major portion of an annual salary if not more than a years salary. Measuring devices? Not happening. Reading a print? Rudimentary skills at best....if at all.

Of course they have accidents....of course people lose fingers and arms and eyes....they aren't showing those people in pictures.

I once worked with an Egyptian electrician working here... the working conditions he described and the attitude of "disposable" crew doing the work are criminal in the western world. It's not often we have people die at work from workplace accidents...for him it was normal watching people dying and obtain severe injuries every day on a job.

There's a difference between cobblers and professionals. India and Pakistan have real economic issues. Educations in these places are expensive...and nobody really has to go to school if they don't want to or parents are too poor to pay for it.

Pakistan has nuclear weapons, highly sophisticated science and technology.

Those videos are amazing and what makes good YouTube but there likely are a lot of high standard job shops for things that really matter and quality manufacturing plants as well as the stuff they show.

Still got to wonder why someone doesn’t bring in a few containers of newer manual machines. Bring them into the 1960s at least!

Pakistan has nuclear weapons, highly sophisticated science and technology.

Those videos are amazing and what makes good YouTube but there likely are a lot of high standard job shops for things that really matter and quality manufacturing plants as well as the stuff they show.

Still got to wonder why someone doesn’t bring in a few containers of newer manual machines. Bring them into the 1960s at least!
Class system there....you are rich or poor....not much in the way of middle class.

Boy, you are right there. These kids in India and Pakistan usually don't have basements. Heck, a lot of them don't have homes, either. I bet that will build some character. Pooping in the streets and scavenging for food is an incredible character builder, and then they can watch their Dad get killed at work due to zero safety practices.
Yeahhhh, that character building you speak of, no thanks.

Is this a game of good, old fashioned hyperbole?
No matter, I can play that game...
And mention those fatherless man-boy basement dwellers, with their soft hands and soft hearts and soft intellects, who've never held a job, failed even in our dumbed down educational system, insist you use the right pronouns when you address them, are dependent on their parents and their prescriptions to ritalin or adderal and who despite being coddled in the most cushy society ever have no God, no hope, no motivation and are perpetually angry because life is so "unfair".
On the other hand, those Pakistani workers that you sneer at, though it is true they are very backward, have hope, morals, a skill and the drive to to create a better life for themselves, their families and their nation.
Who are you going to put Your money on?
Basement Boy and his ilk or the man who till he was killed in an industrial accident, was striving for Something - namely, the improvement of his lot, the lot of his family and the lot of his society?

Is this a game of good, old fashioned hyperbole?
No matter, I can play that game...
And mention those fatherless man-boy basement dwellers, with their soft hands and soft hearts and soft intellects, who've never held a job, failed even in our dumbed down educational system, insist you use the right pronouns when you address them, are dependent on their parents and their prescriptions to ritalin or adderal and who despite being coddled in the most cushy society ever have no God, no hope, no motivation and are perpetually angry because life is so "unfair".
On the other hand, those Pakistani workers that you sneer at, though it is true they are very backward, have hope, morals, a skill and the drive to to create a better life for themselves, their families and their nation.
Who are you going to put Your money on?
Basement Boy and his ilk or the man who till he was killed in an industrial accident, was striving for Something - namely, the improvement of his lot, the lot of his family and the lot of his society?
Yeah it sucks being the product of a nation-wide failed social experiment and then be criticized by the very people who conducted it. I'm sure nothing said by a younger person would hold any water so here's something from an older person:

"Nobody will have the fun I had" and "nobody will have the opportunity I had" resound pretty strongly with me.

I'm proud to be none of the things you listed, and that pride is amplified by the knowledge that I managed to be as successful as my parents and grandparents despite having the world that was laid out for me before my arrival be a not-very-funny parody of the world they had laid out for them before their arrival. I worry about what kind of opportunities my kids and grandkids will have though. It's only getting worse and I feel almost guilty passing down my work ethic when I can't see that it will make my progeny anything other than better made parts in the machine of their own oppression.

My 16 y/o daughter has a job and I think the only reason why, is because she knows it makes me proud. And that makes me sad. Because between work and school she puts in 60-70 hours/week and for what?

She is a child and already on the grind, and her job doesn't offer her the same freedom that my high-school job offered me. When I was in high school, my job bought me a truck, insurance, gas, and I had some left over for fun. Since then minimum wage went up 10 cents while the price of gas went up 400%, the price of used cars went up at least 200%, and the price of everything else went up over 60%. She can't save money without a job and a way to get there. She can't afford a car payment. I bought her a car so she could get to work, and occasionally I have to give her money for gas (to get to work) too. "Participation trophies," if you will. But what choice is there? Do I just ignore reality and bang the "get off your ass, save up your money" drum that's been banged over my head since I was her age?

Imagine working your tail off to get ahead, only to fall further behind, no matter what you do. Maybe then the appeal of sitting in a basement will, while not being totally justifiable, at least make a little more sense.

I was able to find success by ignoring the advice of my elders who all urged me to go to college. My parents, high school counselors, pretty much everyone. They said it didn't matter what I go for, as long as I get that degree, my future would be secure. I can't take credit for being any wiser than they were; the truth is I was a rebellious turd who was determined not to conform even at my own detriment. It was pure luck that I was born at that time with that character flaw.

Back