Palmgren tilting angle vice

A buddy gave me a tilting vice years ago. It tilts on a heavy set of trunnions. I've never had a need for it. Or maybe Im afraid to try and lift it up onto the mill.

Greg

Not sure how heavy this one is He said it’s heavy. The two Allen bolts on the top are they to lock the angle once set ?.
I can see putting this one to use
I have a cheesy chicon tilting vice ,I think this one is stouter

Last edited:
It's pretty cool looking, if it was never me I think I'd have to by it. I thi k it could be quite usefull.

7B1EE4B8-C5EF-4222-B266-B59D52997C02.jpeg
6 1/4” jaws , looks like original paint
62CDEA9F-9FB2-485B-B601-A949C5B843B8.jpeg

I have one. The graduation readout for tilting is kinda cheesy. And I definitely need to use and tighten the bracket things in the back or the vise will creep from a set tilted position. But it does tilt and work. Maybe not for trying to machine tenths though. Good luck!

It is probably not as rigid as your Chinese chuck, Derrick. It IS more versatile. Palmgren stuff has been made in Asia for decades now, and I don't think even the American made ones are worth the pricing I see on them. It is not often you need a swivel or tilting vise, and there are other ways of achieving the angles you need for the odd job.

I had a tilting angle vise similar to that Palmgren and it was good for drilling holes at an angle but it wasn't square enough to mill with. Maybe that one is, don't know.

I prefer a tilting angle table with a gib. They are accurate and a small milling vise or rotary table can be bolted on top of it. Nice and square and solid.

My Chinese chuck , I’m fresh out of Chinese chucks except on a cordless drill o_O

Back