Panel question: Extending ground and neutral bus bars

No factory isolated neutral bar with more holes. Don't think they ever made a longer one. I've looked. Panel is also no longer in production. I understand your joke, but "those guys" never want to pay out... And I sure as #@%! don't want a fire anyways. This house was built before the Civil War, so it's my civic duty to pass it along relatively intact for the next caretakers/owners.

When my house was built, the ship America won the first America's Cup race, Millard Fillmore was President, Western Union was founded, Moby Dick was published, the great flood nearly destroyed Des Moines, the YMCA was founded, a machine to make ice was patented, and house sparrows were released in Brooklyn NY. So I'm just a blip in my home's history.

That's pretty cool! Definitely take good care of her.
Robert

Remember the ground and neutral are tied together, usually at the pole. So what if they are tied at the breaker box also? No big deal as far as I'm concerned, but I suppose it's not code. I don't agree with the code on a few things, this being one of them.
The main thing is you don't want the neutral (center tap) from the pole-pig to float but that's the power company's domain. If it did come loose, and your ground and neutral are tied at your end, you would be (hopefully) saved by your own ground from the house water pipes.
-Mark

Last edited:
I added an extra neutral and ground bar to my box 30 something years ago. I have had the city electrical inspector poking his nose into my box and he said nothing. The bar I used was from a local big box store. for connection I used 2 jumpers of the biggest wire both bars could handle.

Back