Paraffin Wax

oskar

Registered
Registered
Is paraffin wax a good choice for cutting aluminum on a mini lathe? As a hobby user I prefer no liquids which can be messy. Any other alternatives?

Brush on a little WD-40. Not much of a mess and it makes a difference in the chip and the finish.

There might be a language glitch here: paraffin in the US means wax (petroleum product, microcrystalline wax), but
it is also a generic chemical term that refers to all saturated hydrocarbons, and a common name in Britain for
what (in the US) we call kerosene (diesel fuel, furnace fuel oil).

Kerosene is commonly recommended for cutting lube on aluminum.

There might be a language glitch here: paraffin in the US means wax (petroleum product, microcrystalline wax), but
it is also a generic chemical term that refers to all saturated hydrocarbons, and a common name in Britain for
what (in the US) we call kerosene (diesel fuel, furnace fuel oil).

Kerosene is commonly recommended for cutting lube on aluminum.
I think that's "Paraffin Oil" = Kerosine, Kerosene.

As to the OP's question, If you are indeed talking about solid paraffin wax, I would think it too hard to apply easily & evenly. There are "solid" wax sticks made specifically for metal cutting, I use one for the cutting on the bandsaw, works great, would probably work well on the lathe too. Like Mikey said, WD-40 from a brush or dripped slowly works great.

I have a tube of wax that I use when I am cutting on the saw to cut aluminum. I don't know the name or brand, but you let it rub on the blade before you start cutting. Works well. Comes in a sleeve like a tube of grease. KBC sells it. I use WD40 when cutting aluminum on the lathe.
Cheers
Martin

Candle wax or sealing wax might be too hard to apply easily. This stuff is soft enough at room temps to apply and it works like gangbusters on all metals. Much less mess to clean up than with liquids.

IMG_0043.JPG

On my horizontal band saw, I use a plant sprayer with soluble oil, made to 3 times the normal concentration, A few squirts every 1 to or 3 minutes in the cut does it: practically no mess!

Side note to Ellis Band saw owners 'never' lubricate with any water based solution, it will be very hard on your bearings!

Tozguy: what kind of 'Walter' product is it? on a quick search I came up empty...

Thanks to all for the reply

I will use WD-40 and forget about Paraffin Wax which is nowhere to be found here except Amazon

Kerosene is also a good substitute for WD40
If you have it available.
Keeosene is cheaper too in my area

You can use candlewax in a pinch
Just cut the candle like you would round stock, and try to cut very thin slices

Back