Parallel bars

kmanuele

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Anyone know of a source of good quality parallel bars?

Those I have purchased recently have been junk. Poorly machined, full of machining debris, internal rust, etc. Supposedly from reputable suppliers.

Could make my own, I suppose.

Thanks

K

What are you calling parallel bars? Are you talklng about steel parallels that would be used as packing in a vise under workpieces?, if so they would not be finish machined, but hardened and ground, and there would not be rusty inside, as they are generally solid tool steel, I have found dozens of them used on e bay for cheap prices, generally in matched pairs,, if you are talking about something different, give a bit more info. or a picture.

If you just need a certain size go to McMaster Carr

Capture.JPG

Are you talking about adjustable parallels? If so yeah the import stuff has a lot to be desired. I would look for slightly used Starret or Brown & Sharpe ones on E-bay.

Anyone know of a source of good quality parallel bars?

Those I have purchased recently have been junk. Poorly machined, full of machining debris, internal rust, etc. Supposedly from reputable suppliers.

Could make my own, I suppose.

Thanks

K
Sorry, my mistake. I meant adjustable parallel bars -- the 2-piece with sliding dovetail.

K

Are you talking about adjustable parallels? If so yeah the import stuff has a lot to be desired. I would look for slightly used Starret or Brown & Sharpe ones on E-bay.
yes, clarified above.

Will check eBay.

K

I've got a set of Starrett's and a set of 35-year old Enco's. No issues with either set. I'd look for some used Starrett's on eBay.

Bruce

I'm assuming you mean adjustable parallels
1665621492514.png

and not adjustable parallel bars
1665621414841.png

Be careful, I bought a no-name set marked "Made in USA", at least one of them is out .005.

Back