parallel clamps

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
A while back , I needed some parallel clamps or as I know them, Tool maker's clamps. After seeing the prices to buy them, I decided to make some. The total cost was less than $20 which was less than the price of buying one and I now have four.
They started with a 3 foot length of 1/2" square steel bar, cut into pieces. I didn't have a mill yet so these were made entirely with a band saw, drill press and lathe. With some creative clamping , I cut the angles on the clamp arms on the band saw and polished them on the belt sander. 1/4 inch all thread was used to make the screws. hear is a picture of the cut parts.
Clamp parts 1.jpg

Next I made knurled knobs for the screws and pinned them to the screws. I made some locks to hold the one screw in the clamp bar from 1/16" thick x 1/2" wide aluminum bar. then it was just assemble.

clamp parts.jpg

After assembly, I have four very well made toolmaker's clamps for less than the price of one imported one and it only took a couple hours to make them.

finished clamps1.jpg

This was a simple project that is very useful. I have used these clamps many times in the last couple months since I made them. They are 4" long with a clamp throat depth of 2" and a clamping thickness range of 4". This same design can be made any size needed. The pictures could be better. these are polished to an almost mirror finish and very shiny. ( I like shiny). I get a lot of compliments on them and people ask where I bought them and they are surprised when I say , "I made them"

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Clamp parts 1.jpg clamp parts.jpg finished clamps1.jpg

Mark,

Just in case you didn't know, these are the kind of project posts that keep mine in my pocket. :biggrin: Excellent work!

You have one side with just a threaded through hole. The other appears to be counter bored but then there's the small piece of (?) that's cut with a half circle. It seems to, according to the pics, cover the counter bored hole. Am I seeing this correctly? If so why? If not, what do they do? What are they for?

Those look great, would you mind posting the plans for the clamps.

Thanks,
Woodrow

Nice! I made some like this for 40 years ago. My son have it, so I have to make me a new one. Du you have som drawings and measuring?

You have one side with just a threaded through hole. The other appears to be counter bored but then there's the small piece of (?) that's cut with a half circle. It seems to, according to the pics, cover the counter bored hole. Am I seeing this correctly? If so why? If not, what do they do? What are they for?

DRS, They are a retainer to hold the threaded rod in the clamp.

Mark, What method did you use to get the tapered nose on the clamps?

Cheers Phil

DRS, They are a retainer to hold the threaded rod in the clamp.

Mark, What method did you use to get the tapered nose on the clamps?

Cheers Phil

DOH! It's very plain to see now.

Thanks Phil.

Yeah but he tricked you a bit too. If you look at the 3rd pic of 4 assembled clamps you can just see the head of the retaining screw on the "half circle clips" but in the other pics he hasnt drilled and tapped the hole for that screw yet.

Cheers Phil

Mark, just out of curiosity, how did you attach the knurled knobs on the allthread? Did you just press them on with an interference fit and pin them or did you thread them on and pin them? I am only guessing at pinning them, in one of the pictures it looks like a roll pin is visible through the knurled knob.

Thanks.

The knob on the one rod has a groove that the half round aluminum clip captures in the counterbore. This keeps this half of the clamp and screw together. The back screw is free through the other half of the clamp and screws into the half that has the captured rod. Hope this helps. if not , I will post a print for the clamps for anyone that wants it. If you study the pics carefully it should come to you.

Mark

Mark,

Just in case you didn't know, these are the kind of project posts that keep mine in my pocket. :biggrin: Excellent work!

Back