Part holding help for the mill...

Doesn't your vise have a "V" groove across the moving jaw ? If so use a soft packer on the fixed jaw side and hang the bit to be machined out the side. Cut one flat, turn it round and put a block under the flat and mill the other side.

If you vise doesn't have a "V" groove, use a "V" block and a packing.

Doesn't your vise have a "V" groove across the moving jaw ? If so use a soft packer on the fixed jaw side and hang the bit to be machined out the side. Cut one flat, turn it round and put a block under the flat and mill the other side.

If you vise doesn't have a "V" groove, use a "V" block and a packing.
No V groove in the mill vise I have, I have gotten now a set of V blocks and just fooling around I think that is going to do it. i am going to hold it in the V block and put that in the vise vertical, straight up and then take a cut on either side. I am making a special "tip" for a soldering iron that needs to be a wide paddle shape. It really does not need much precission but it's somthing to get some experinece with... I'll post here when I get one done... maybe over the weekend.

Hi John,

Isn't 6061 aluminum ? If it is you won't be able to tin it ! You need copper for a soldering bit.

Hi John,

Isn't 6061 aluminum ? If it is you won't be able to tin it ! You need copper for a soldering bit.
It's actually used to weld some belting material ( o-ring like green belt) So aluminum should do OK. The ones I am copying are I think Aluminum with a teflon coating, I am just going to try polishing them up real smooth.

Hi John,

Ahh when you said soldering, thats where you threw me a curve ball.
Thanks for the illumination.

Hi John,

Ahh when you said soldering, thats where you threw me a curve ball.
Thanks for the illumination.
It's kind of an odd application, Long story/short; Belts for some mail/paper handling equipment I work on (PT) and am tyring some of my previously proven technics from a another job years ago.... trying to make my life simpler. Once I get on made I'll put up a pic... cause I'll be proud as heck , having made something if for nothing else... :)

Hi John,

If you need a Teflon coating for the surface, just in case you don't know, you can buy rolls of self adhesive Teflon tape !
It is used on heat sealing machines, the type used for closing polythene bags and tube. I have a roll of it somewhere kicking about, though you can probably get some more local to you. I think the stuff that I have came from the USA anyway.

Back