Part is 34" maximum cut on my mill is 26"

On my shaper, my gibbs work best with .003 celarance for the oil to lubricate the gib/casting. With less, the ram bogs down. You have to experiment with your own machine, but less than .001 will give your trouble on most machines. I hope this helps!

Thanks. I was not saying that I was going for .001 clearance, I was saying that the suggested way taper would be .001 per foot. Clearance between the Gibb strip and way was on my to ask list however. I will shoot for .003!

Thanks. I was not saying that I was going for .001 clearance, I was saying that the suggested way taper would be .001 per foot. Clearance between the Gibb strip and way was on my to ask list however. I will shoot for .003!
When the ram is all the way extended, clearance turns into droop, at least part of it does. Oil helps to fill the gaps, but being a liquid it squirms out. Other machines do the same. Milling machines and surface grinders both have tables that travel far beyond the supporting ways and gibs. That becomes droop at the ends of the travel. There are ways of dealing with it or compensating for it.

Move the part, it will not be PERFECT and you will not like it but is the only choice.
Or buy a machine large enough for the work.

A 60" travel machine milling a 110" long part, not ideal but the only option. $5000.00 worth of Kurt vices helps but it still will not be PERFECT by hobby standards.

Back