Parting blade crashed into lathe

Friendly non murdering Sword

Registered
Registered
I just had my most serious crash on lathe yet.

My lathe has got a Dixon style toolpost and when I inserted the parting tool holder and clamped it, I noticed a crunchy feel during tightening so I knew there was swarf on the toolpost, having that feel occurs occasionally so nothing surprising. I cleaned it with a brush and put the parting toolholder back in. This time it felt solidly locking. But maybe 10 seconds into the cut the complete toolholder loosened itself on the toolpost, the parting blade dug itself into the part and the lathe completely stalled in the glimpse of an eye. The blade and part of the toolholder broke off. It all happened in 1-2 seconds so there was nothing I could have done.

After the first shock I wasn't sure what caused the immediate stall... whether gears in the gearbox had stripped or the belt slipped. So I took off the chuck and turned the spindle by hand, also checking all the accessible change gears. No crunshy feeling. I checked the spindle runout with a DTI and it didn't get worse. So I turned the lathe back on and I seem to be well off...

So I guess the only thing still left is my moral being completely shattered, a feeling of shame and fear whenever I'll have to use that parting tool ever again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_081836.jpg
    IMG_20220122_081836.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 206
So I guess the only thing still left is my moral being completely shattered, a feeling of shame and fear whenever I'll have to use that parting tool ever again.

Believe me, you are not the first to crash a parting tool and you won't be the last. Stuff happens and there is no reason to feel shame. I do wonder if your tool holder was cracked to begin with and that is what you heard/felt when you thought it was swarf in there. If so, then this was no fault of yours. Regardless, get a new parting tool holder and go at it again. Once you can part without incident the fear will go away.

Last edited:
Yep, don't beat yourself up. We've all done similar! +1 on replacing that tool holder too.

I happened to have a very similar event and I kick myself for it . As I was parting I thought I saw a movement. I wasn’t sure if it was my eyes . Double checked the carriage lock and kept going in a split second it broke the parting tool ! The 4way toolpost moved , i should have double checked everything!

I solved that problem another way. I mounted an insert parting blade upside down on the front slide, it has the advantage of pushing the tool holder up when the tool has too much pressure on it. I mount the block in a quick change tool holder. It's nice to breathe and uncleanch the seat biter while parting off.

Last time I did that I took off the end of a Dorian tool holder as well as the insert= $100

I solved that problem another way. I mounted an insert parting blade upside down on the front slide, it has the advantage of pushing the tool holder up when the tool has too much pressure on it. I mount the block in a quick change tool holder. It's nice to breathe and uncleanch the seat biter while parting off.

I really like the idea of mounting the parting blade upside down and running the lathe in reverse. Once thinking about it, it seems so obvious! :cool: I'll try it out once I got a new parting blade holder.

Back