Parting Blade Holder

Cobra

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been wanting to change from the HSS parting blades I have been using to carbide.
Watching some of Doubleboost's videos, the blade system from Banggood looked promising.
Looking on their site, they seemed to list both 32 mm and 26 mm blades but the more I looked it seemed that I could get the 26 mm blade and the 3 mm inserts but no holder to go with the 26 mm. After several email exchanges it became clear that they were not going to the a source for holder.
I ordered the blade and inserts and set to drawing a holder that would fit the QCTP on my G0750G 12" lathe.

Holder.JPG

I drew up the attached sketch and proceeded to milling on a piece of 12L14 square bar that I had in the bin.
I love working with the leaded bar, it cuts like butter.
The problem was some nagging thoughts that the steel would not be strong enough to work as a blade holder. So, before the blade and inserts arrived, I decided to make another from a bar of Stressproof that I had.
Certainly not as easy to cut as the 12L14 but gave a nice finish and was doable.

Blackened both pieces when I finished and tried them out.
They both seemed to hold the blade well enough and the blade itself was very nice to use.

I will keep both and likely order another 26 mm blade with 2 mm inserts.

20180928_154203.jpg

20180928_154209.jpg

20180928_154217.jpg

20180928_154227.jpg

20180928_154240.jpg

Attachments

• Holder.PDF
    449.5 KB · Views: 15
Agree.
Let us know how the Banggood blades work.

Check out Halligan142's video on these.
I can't remember which brand he reviewed but the cutting tool fell out of the holder when it got hot.
Like many of the Asian tooling, It's a crap shoot if you get good quality.
Yes, please, let us know how the Banggood works out.
Awesome job by the way!!

I have been using the blade since the start of this month have been amazed by the performance.
In comparison to the HSS blades I was using this tool is no effort at all.
I have used it on mild steel, stress-proof, aluminium, and brass from 1/4 inch to 2-1/2 and absolutely no drama.

Have you tried the T shaped HSS cut-off blades? The McMaster T shaped ?
I have some, have not tried them yet.

I have used the t-shaped blades (not McMaster) and have had the same issues as the regular tapered blade.
That is, there is a propensity for the friction to build up as the blade is used on a deeper cut. Not a problem with thin material or tubing.
This new blade doesn't seem to have that problem. In steel, up to about an inch, it will cut off without lubrication and leaves a very good finish.
No problems at all with the insert being loose in the holder.

On the other side, I still use the HSS (0.077) blade to cut a groove an the end of a threading area.
The new blade is wider than I need for that thread ending. The new blade is 0.122.

Back