Parting blade holders how tight?

Creativechipper

Registered
Registered
I picked up a parting tool holder 250-107 and 1/2" size with a 1/2" blade and the holder seems over sized to about 3/8" instead of 1/2" is this normal?

What do you mean by "over sized to about 3/8" instead of 1/2""?

Tom

I use a small brass shim under the cutting blade. 0.031" took the slack out enough to hold the blade rigidly.

Thinner would have worked OK, too.

The slot for the cutter is about 3/8" tall and the blade is 1/2". I was under the impression the holder would be 1/2" as well so no gap in the holder above the blade.

Wondering if it is normal to be like this or if someone messed up on the tolerances?

I'm suspecting there is a recurring typo creeping in here that might be confusing things -- could the slot in the holder be more like 5/8" wide (0.625) making for about an eighth of an inch gap above the 1/2" wide parting blade? If the slot were indeed 3/8" (0.375) as reported, the blade wouldn't even go in.

-frank

I'm suspecting there is a recurring typo creeping in here that might be confusing things -- could the slot in the holder be more like 5/8" wide (0.625) making for about an eighth of an inch gap above the 1/2" wide parting blade? If the slot were indeed 3/8" (0.375) as reported, the blade wouldn't even go in.

-frank
Wondering if it is normal to be like this or if someone messed up on the tolerances?
Yes, that is normal. The clamp takes up the slack when you crank the clamping screw down.

Tom

Where did you get the holder, and are you sure you were sent the right one? The shars AXA 107 claims 1/2" for the blade. The set screw should still handle the 1/8" gap, but a 5/8" slot where it should be 1/2" is a little disturbing.

There is going to be a gap. The gap on my OXA holder is about 1/16” with a 1/2" blade. I wouldn’t think a 1/8” gap is too much on an AXA holder. As long as the clamp does its job holding the blade securely, does it matter how big the gap is?

Tom

With the gap, I just see more room for flex, twisting, not as secure as if the blade were supported the whole length.

The set screw works and will grip and hold.

Picked it up off Amazon

Back