Parting Blade Question

WarrenP

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone, I have what Im sure is an easy question for most of you. I installed a quicj change tool post on my G0752 lathe. With it came a cut off blade holder. It says I need to use a blade that is Parrellel top and bottom. Does that mean I can not use a T shaped blade in it or is that ok? Thanks for your time on this.

I’m kinda new if this is what you’re calling a T type blade I use it with my quick change blade holder without issue in fact it’s the best kind of parting blade I’ve used

0D68000B-5EA6-4673-903A-3DD09463B074.jpeg

I’m kinda new if this is what you’re calling a T type blade I use it with my quick change blade holder without issue in fact it’s the best kind of parting blade I’ve used

Yes that's the blade im talking about, I like them too, but not sure since the manufacturer says to use a parrellel top and bottom blade if it is ok to use this on my holder. Hopefully someone can answer this... Thanks.

Those parting tools can be used in the typical QCTP holders, but benefit from a shim betwwen the lower half of the blade and the toolholder. This will keep the tool square to the face of the toolholder, as well as the work. I used a small feeler guage on mine, but anything of the correct thickness will work.

Yes that's the blade im talking about, I like them too, but not sure since the manufacturer says to use a parrellel top and bottom blade if it is ok to use this on my holder. Hopefully someone can answer this... Thanks.
The top and bottom are parallel.

I’m sure we’re using the same tool holder. I run the T type without any issue. The only time I’ve had any issue was setting tool height, that was before using the T type blades once I figured that out parting went from being a nightmare to being just another task.

OK, sounds good, I will shim the cutoff blade and all should be good (after I get one). Thanks all for the replies. Warren

I use T type blades in my ordinary Aloris tool holder all the time with no problems and no shims; Having said that, I think it would be a good idea to relieve the tool holder in the area of the projecting side of the T. Another thought; ordinary parting blades are tapered top to bottom for clearance, but the holders such as the Aloris do not attempt to match that angle.

Actually true Aloris parting tool holders do have a groove machined for the top of the T part of the blade. Every copy I have seen (including mine) do not have the groove cut into them. I did mill a groove in mine. It helped a little on the smaller width blades but they still want to twist sometimes
I use T type blades in my ordinary Aloris tool holder all the time with no problems and no shims; Having said that, I think it would be a good idea to relieve the tool holder in the area of the projecting side of the T. Another thought; ordinary parting blades are tapered top to bottom for clearance, but the holders such as the Aloris do not attempt to match that angle.

Back