Parting blades for small Atlas/craftsman and armstrong tool holders

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This may be in the wrong forum. I have an armstrong no. 19 parting tool holder. It takes a blade just smaller than 1/2." The listed size is 3/32 x 1/2 nominal. The part number in old armstrong catalogs is 2401. Imported blades are a true 1/2" and won't fit. In searching the usual suppliers they were quoting very hefty prices for these blades. I was looking on Ebay and saw a listing for armstrong 3/32x1/2 cut off blades. Part no 86-471. The seller couldn't tell me what the actual size of the blade was. After more searching I ultimately found a cross reference for 86-471 to 2401. I ordered one blade and sure enough it fits. The cost was $5.50 plus $3 shipping. I plan to order a couple more of these blades.
Here is the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Armstrong-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Hope this helps other forum members who might be looking for these blades.

Isn't the Armstrong 12 mm ?
12 mm wide blades are common in Europe.

The blades are 12.2 mm and are a close, tight fit in my tool holder. Don't know if a 12 mm blade would work. In my search for blades I didn't see any 12 mm blades for sale in the US.

Eight thou difference. But looking at prices here they are about the same price. With the Pound Dollar exchange rate as it is at the moment, maybe not the best time to buy from UK/Europe.

Another part number is 86-471. I did a search and didn't find any for sale. All I can say is keep searching and maybe something will show up.

What kind of tool post/tool holder are you using? Pretty easy to make one for a parting blade. Check out this video from Winky's Workshop

Back