Parting tool too high up

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I have an 0XA QCTP. My parting blade sits too high up. I have a few things in mind to remedy this issue, but I was wondering if there's a better way.

The tool holder is already at the bottom and can't go any lower.

I can't mill off much off the bottom of the tool holder. Maybe a 1/16 of an inch is all I can shave off.

20180719_134830.jpg

Machining off the top of the compound to bring the tool down to center may be a cure, or machine/grind off the bottom of the parting tool holder.

Flip your blade upside down. Raise the blade to get on center and run your lathe in reverse for parting. If it's a screw on chuck that's probably not a good idea.

Take some material off that square block between the QCTB and the compound.

Your could grind some height off the top off the cut-off blade.

There are a couple of cutoff tool holders that fit the OXA QCTP - one that holds the tool horizontal and one that holds the tool angled up. I can't tell from the picture which one you're using but if you have the second type that could be your problem.

Can you mount the parting tool upside down in the back, without reversing the spindle and feed the tool toward you instead of away from you?
I've heard that sometimes works better- don't know if it will solve the height issue
mark

There are a couple of cutoff tool holders that fit the OXA QCTP - one that holds the tool horizontal and one that holds the tool angled up. I can't tell from the picture which one you're using but if you have the second type that could be your problem.

yeah, it holds the cutting tool angled upwards

I've already thought of several ways to fix this issue, including a milling a regular tool holder

Flip your blade upside down. Raise the blade to get on center and run your lathe in reverse for parting. If it's a screw on chuck that's probably not a good idea.
Also, not so good is that it would put the parting blade at a negative rake to the cut.

Back