Parting tool too high up

This is my parting tool

g5704-b4a2dec7775aadd89d50ac405a2794b7.jpg

This is the one I use on my small lathe. Got it from Little Machine Shop. I also have one like you have but can't use it due to the same problems you're having.

3117.480.jpg

This is my parting tool

g5704-b4a2dec7775aadd89d50ac405a2794b7.jpg
You ordered the wrong 0XA kit. The one you need is the 3117 which is true horizontal. The one you have is the 3774 which angles up 4° and is listed for up to 9" lathes. LMS may exchange it for you if you call them.

Roy

You can do it. I've made a couple.

Managed to use the same angled holder and milled some to get it to work. Still having problems parting, though. So far, I've had the most problems doing this than any other procedure with my lathe. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

ZZQIQ1Y.jpg

Hands up, everyone who has had more trouble parting off than any other operation.

To summarize, cutting edge right on centre (you know that one), make sure the blade is exactly at right angles to the X-axis of the lathe, slow the spindle down, use lots of cutting oil, feed in fairly smartly, but you can back off quickly as well. You just don't want to take too light a cut, if it leaves the tool rubbing on the work.

Parting is hard on smaller lathes, you are not alone, I try to avoid it on my 6" (in fact I never have)
I'm waiting till I get my 12x36 set up- major delayed parting gratification
mark

I can’t say for sure since my parting tool holder is the horizontal model, but I’ll throw this out as food for thought. I have seen it said that mini lathes aren’t rigid enough to handle a positive angled parting tool. It tends to dig in to the work piece and the smaller lathes get mucho chatter. Is that what you’re experiencing?

Tom

Back