parting tool?

Iscar , Kennemetal top notch , Valenite Val Groove , Dorian Slot Grip , Thin bit is what I have in the arsenal . Which ones used depends on the jobs being performed .

Everything you said that I quoted above mirrors my experience to a T. I have experienced a couple issues but believe it's because I fed too fast. The part I made bold is what I'm waiting for. LOL. I'm looking at all the tools people have posted just see what other options are out there since I've only used HSS blades.

Parting tools are like a dog , ya gotta feed them . If you rub the edge off they won't cut . I can only speak for lathes such as the HLV-Hs up to 60" diameters . Not quite sure what these smaller lathes can handle . I may just find out in the near future . If you're running a manual lathe , you're losing CSS while feeding in . It's just a fact of the trade and machine . CNCs are parting at 5000rpm and above .

I have one like this, it's amazing.

SPB32-3 32mm Cut Off Blade with 25mm Blade Holder

I use it on a 13" lathe in a 2 way tool post. Steel and brass it loves, aluminum not so much, but the inserts arn't listed as good for aluminium so I guess thats why, I think a lot of WD40 or similar would make it ok on aluminuim perhaps.

Stuart
Stuart, what sets this parting tool apart from the other designs, It looks very stout, what do you like about it?
Thanks
David

Stuart, what sets this parting tool apart from the other designs, It looks very stout, what do you like about it?
Thanks
David

I got the 32mm tall blade as a lot of people seem to be saying that it was more rigid than the 26mm (i think thats the next size down) The holder is also a massive piece of steel which helps a lot, it's 3mm wide insert, I did consider the 2mm parting blades but was concerned it would be to floppy.

I've machined the base to fit strait into my tool post at center height, so it's real easy to set up.

When I have had an issue the insert has kind of fractured apart quite calmly and not caused any damage.

I mostly stay away from insert tooling due to cost concerns but the generic tips seem to be fine for mild steel and brass, the iscar ones would have to be amazing to make the extra cost worth it for me.

I've got a new HSS holder which I havn't actualy used much yet so I will try and do some parting tomorow and get back with my experiences :)

Stuart

I got the 32mm tall blade as a lot of people seem to be saying that it was more rigid than the 26mm (i think thats the next size down) The holder is also a massive piece of steel which helps a lot, it's 3mm wide insert, I did consider the 2mm parting blades but was concerned it would be to floppy.

I've machined the base to fit strait into my tool post at center height, so it's real easy to set up.

When I have had an issue the insert has kind of fractured apart quite calmly and not caused any damage.

I mostly stay away from insert tooling due to cost concerns but the generic tips seem to be fine for mild steel and brass, the iscar ones would have to be amazing to make the extra cost worth it for me.

I've got a new HSS holder which I havn't actualy used much yet so I will try and do some parting tomorow and get back with my experiences :)

Stuart
Thanks, I have an hss tool and a smaller insert tool, but that tool looks like a very stable cutter. I may need to pick one up!
David

I did some parting using my HSS blade holder , I've got this one. It did a nice clean job on some 1" OD aluminium with a 5mm hole in the middle. I used my regular cutting lube.

I had bought one of these for parting, it seemed to do well cutting initially 12L14 5/16” hex bars. In every case it started out well, but after getting about 1/8” or so into the part, the insert would push back and then shatter. I put oil on the part to start.

I made sure that the cutter was perpendicular to the part. But in every case, 3 times now, the cutter shattered. Hence my questions....

I read on McMaster Carr, at least this is what I thought I read was that these types of inserts were only good for about 1.5 the insert in depth capability. Am I understanding this correctly, it’s really a grove making tool?

The deepest I have parted with the GTN3 inserts is 2" square hot roll bar stock with 1.25" hole in center , 2" OD round cold roll with small (maybe 8mm) center hole.

Theirs good clearance from the side of the inserts to the holder so I havn't had it rub during cutting.

Stuart

Like my missus, parting sneaks up and bites me on the arse, more often than not. Some days, good as gold...others.....?
Tried everything, a new wife, girlfriends, brown and white, normal and upside down.
Best way is manually doing it, with the bandsaw.

I've had good luck so far with this one in hot roll and 4130. I decided to purchase it after a couple of unpleasant experiences with HSS parting blade in steel. I like it because the blade is smaller than the groove cut by the insert. I'm sure I will destroy it sooner or later. Set up with any parting tool is critical.

Back