Parting Woes Solution?

I vote yes, given enough time and vibration, some will. Some won't, maybe, but which ones?

Last edited:
Without mixing words any further than this post, the answer is, I don't know either but I damn sure don't want to find out. I posted the warning as a precaution.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have actually spun a 20" 4 jaw chuck off of a threaded spindle, I fully understand the outcome of such a thing happening.

However in my initial post I was wondering if one may actually unseat a threaded spindle with a hacksaw blade and a spring.
I could see it happening if that hacksaw blade set up jams and crams ifn'n the chuck is turning in the "unscrew" direction without a "lock" (just like anything)...By the way, good catch to whoever caught that (somewhere above)

Safety is our primary concern on this Forum along with helping in any way we can. It wasn't hard to see in the first video that there was an accident waiting to happen. That is why it was brought to the attention of all. My sole purpose was to show what was going on and what could happen. I would not feel right if something happened to one of you and I had not said something. I would hope the rest of the membership felt the same.

"Billy G"

For goodness sake. o_O:confused::eek::eek:

Take the time to learn and do it properly or line up a good eye doctor.
Theres a good reason you haven't seen it elsewhere. Its just plain dangerous and an accident just waiting to happen.
I am saying whats on my mind rather than remain silent and hear of someone getting hurt.

Guys,as they say it ain't rocket science. I regularly part off with HSS through stainless 303 and on occasion 316.

Ok these comments do apply to non production amatuers . I am not a jobber, so time is not a factor for me.

Observe the basics.

* Part off at center height
* Part off square to the axis of the work -check set up AND that compound setting is on zero.
* Set up for the minimum of PO tool overhang - half diameter of work + a smidgin
* Ensure the rigidity of your tool holder and tool post
* Use a constant (cross) feed
* Where necessary use a lube - on stainless mine is a sulphur base lube
* Sharpen the HSS tool as per info available -its there on the net
* Watch for the curl shape of the swarf that comes off the steel - the shape, size and texture tell you so much .Most times with a lot of steels comes off like a cursive writing "C" and usually is very shiny at the cut face.

I am certainly no machinist, merely an amatuer of some 8 or nine years experience but decided very early in my machining hobby to learn about using HSS. It has paid off in terms of economy versatility and not needing a wide selection of carbide cutters and tool holders.
It took a bit of time , effort and study plus chatting to an old timer and I was parting off trouble free with HSS within 6 months.
I hope this can help someone. Experienced machinists feel free to jump in and add something I may have missed.

Regards
Ozwelder

My QCTP puts the parting blade off to the side and that results in things tipping and the blade digging in, mini lathes do this to keep your adrenaline drained...been there done that more times than I care to remember! My way of ending this problem was to turn the holder and parting blade upside down and use reverse for parting. If the tool digs in the blade tips away from the cut, this saves my parting blades and my adrenaline is back to normal! This worked so nice I drilled and tapped a hole on the blind side of the holder to set the tool height quickly.

I just saw this (pun intended) and thought it may be of use to those who have problems parting.
I rather liked it.
I couldnt think where to post this so please move if necessary.
Novel and it uses up the broken blades you have laying around. May well work

My set up has the spindle turning normally and the saw is arranged so the teeth cut properly. But good point about a chuck unscrewing if going the other way.
The original set up spun the chuck ( clockwise) so the hacksaw blade was in tension . this is a stable and preferred mode of operation. Your set up, with the chuck spinning anticlockwise puts the blade in compression which can cause the blade to buckle/ break. But if it works , it works.

Back