Parts Source For Asian Machines--a Grizzly Problem

modela

Active User
Registered
Let's face it, most machinery is manufactured in Asia. The good part about it comes from the lowering of the cost of machinery. The downside is finding parts. A case in point is the power feed on my Bridgeport. In a short period of inattention I ran the power feed up against a stop. Ouch. Obviously it was made in China. I pulled it apart and found a plastic gear in the worm drive missing some teeth.

I went on the web and could not find the manufacturer. I went on ebay, not much luck there either. Finally, I looked on Grizzly's site. One thing you can say about Grizzly is that they do keep parts. I ordered the plastic gear, modified it slightly on my lathe to fit and I was back in business. I turned around and ordered another as a backup.

I have found parts for grinders and other machinery from Grizzly that saved machines. There parts catalogs are good and their staff is helpful.

Last edited:
I have done the same finding parts at Grizzly for other machines.

if it's any consolation , the plastic gears are metric modulus and readily available from many sources

i had a mini lathe a few years ago, when i was purchasing gears for it, i found hundreds of sellers on a google search for modulus 1.0 gears.
out of ease i chose ebay retailers, a retailer from the Greek isle Cyprus.
i don't recall his name, or if his ebay store still exists .

a more recent google search may prove to be useful to you :grin:

just a FYI, modulus to metric is what diametrical pitch is to imperial

Maybe this gear from CDCO (cdcotools.com)? Gotta love a design where the gears are the "clutch" in the drive train. I looked hard at the Enco 13 x 40 lathe, my father-in-law has one. I took off the headstock cover to see the quadrant for English/Metric gear changes. Saw a large plastic gear, went another route . . .

Bruce

upload_2016-1-7_7-44-20.png

upload_2016-1-7_7-44-56.png

A single plastic gear in a geartrain is almost always there to be an inexpensive "fuse" in the event of a crash. It can also reduce harmonics. Fairly common and reasonable practice.

Back