Parts Sources for Craftsman 109.20630

dreep

Registered
Registered
Hello!

I'm new to the forum, and just "rescued" a Craftsman 109.20630 6" lathe (photo is as the seller had the unit "displayed" for sale).

I'm involved in vintage auto restoration projects, and a small lathe (after its restoration) should be a good addition to may shop. I understand the limitations of a light lathe, and yes, I could have gotten a new, Asian-made mini-lathe for probably similar investment, but keeping the the vintage HW going just appeals to me.

Anyway, I know that Bill Hardin ran a nice business for many years, supporting the 109 model lathe. Unfortunately he passed away (RIP!), three or four years ago. My question for the group: is there anyone currently providing similar support for these machines? There are lots of used parts and a few new ones on eBay, of course, but they seem fairly spendy for what many of them are.

Looking for recommended parts and accessory sources, please!

Doug

Attachments

• 109.20630 Lathe as Purchased.jpg
    109.20630 Lathe as Purchased.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 21
Hey Doug. You can have a look here although the parts for the 109 are pretty slim compared to the Atlas stuff he carries. It might be worth an email though to see if he has lines on more, Joel is a decent guy and I’ve always been pleased with my experiences with him.

-frank

Hey Doug. You can have a look here although the parts for the 109 are pretty slim compared to the Atlas stuff he carries. It might be worth an email though to see if he has lines on more, Joel is a decent guy and I’ve always been pleased with my experiences with him.

-frank
Thanks for the tip, Frank!

There is an IO Groups group for these lathes as well as a Facebook group. Neither is very active but you might get a response and if there is a good source for parts they would probably know. Both groups also have a good variety of information on these lathes with tips, modifications and repair info.

I recently got a later model 109 and think they are neat little lathes. They are very light duty though even compared to the Atlas 618 / Craftsman 101 or a Chinese 7x12.

There is an IO Groups group for these lathes as well as a Facebook group. Neither is very active but you might get a response and if there is a good source for parts they would probably know. Both groups also have a good variety of information on these lathes with tips, modifications and repair info.

I recently got a later model 109 and think they are neat little lathes. They are very light duty though even compared to the Atlas 618 / Craftsman 101 or a Chinese 7x12.
Thanks for the pointers, Aaron. I've just now joined two relevant FB groups - one specific to the 109s, and the other just a bit more general for Atlas, Craftsman and Dunlap lathes - both of which look like they are sufficiently active to provide a good community of practice.

For what I have in mind, the 109's light duty design should be OK. The ability to make small parts, bushings and the like, and the possibility of starter/generator armature resurfacing will be good additions to my shop, for my vintage auto work. I've looked at the generic 7x12 lathes, and my attraction of the vintage machines - even with known shortcomings - is perhaps due to a bit of nostalgia, but also the challenge and satisfaction of keeping the old machines working to the best of their capabilities. I'm keeping my eye open for an Atlas/Craftsman 618/101, also.

I should add, I'm sort-of half looking for an Atlas/Craftsman horizontal mill. Frankly, I would get more use out a vertical mill, but if one with a vintage vertical mill attachment should show up, I may "go for it."

Cheers!

Doug

Back