Parts washer vs hot soapy water

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
The tittle says it all.... I was looking at parts washers but I'm wondering if I set up a tub for hot soapy water wouldn't just be better and biodegradable.....

Eta: Simple green vs Dawn!

What are you trying to remove?

Oil, paint, dirt or???

If oily stuff dawn or greased lightening, if dirty grime tide.

If real nasty and paint needs to come off and not aluminum lye

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

What are you trying to remove?

Oil, paint, dirt or???

If oily stuff dawn or greased lightening, if dirty grime tide.

If real nasty and paint needs to come off and not aluminum lye

Mostly farm dirt. A mix of dirt, dust, old oil, and cow drool....

A fellow I know repurposed an old dishwasher to clean parts. He uses Simple Green for most jobs, which are mostly dirt and moderate amounts of oil. I think a stainless steel tub would work best. Most dishwashers have an internal water heater, so you don't have to hook it up to hot water. It will probably work better if supplied with hot water when used as a parts washer.

I've seen brand new freight damaged dishwashers go very cheap.

A pressure washer is my go to machine for farm equipment. It’s a life saver when having to clean caked oil mixed with dirt. A straight stream nozzle will even strip paint. Just be careful around injector pumps and electric parts.

Mostly farm dirt. A mix of dirt, dust, old oil, and cow drool....
Then I suggest greased lightening from Lowes.

It is 9.99 for one gallon or about 26 for 5.

Spray on full strength and go do something.

It will melt anything oil like.

It does not smell or bother skin or paint.

For rinse mix a very strong batch of dawn in a pump up garden sprayer, that will capture the stuff as it comes off and work on the dirt like stuff.

Let the rinsed with dawn thing rest for a bit then rinse again with dawn or with water via hose nozzle.

Repeat as needed.

I use Super Clean for most of my oil/greasy things. The stuff is amazing. I have tried to get away as much as possible from petroleum-based cleaners (brake cleaner for example).

https://superclean.com/

Be careful with any of the “Purple” cleaners if you have painted surfaces. When used straight they can discolor and/or strip paint.

Pressure washing is my starting point when I can, but the solvent tank (stoddard solvent) does the heavy lifting in my shop. I'd be lost without it.

I've used dish soap, cellosolv (simple purple), anionic surfactants (TSP, dish detergent) and enzymatic degreasers. Nothing holds a candle to solvent. Degreased parts sometimes get derusting treatment with metal etch, ospho, or evaporust in a closely watched bucket. Depends on it's final use, but I do this a lot for automotive small parts. Big rust gets an electrolyte bath and a recharge...

An opportunity came, and I procured an ultrasonic cleaner from a closed dental office. I use lab beakers in the bath to sonic clean tough stuff using cellosolv or acetone. Mostly, I just use warm water. It works fantastically. I would recommend sonic cleaning to anyone who gets their hands dirty in a shop. When I'm rebuilding an engine, the sonic cleaner runs constantly.

A fellow I know repurposed an old dishwasher to clean parts. He uses Simple Green for most jobs, which are mostly dirt and moderate amounts of oil. I think a stainless steel tub would work best. Most dishwashers have an internal water heater, so you don't have to hook it up to hot water. It will probably work better if supplied with hot water when used as a parts washer.

I've seen brand new freight damaged dishwashers go very cheap.
Not only do they clean parts, but you can poach salmon in them too.

Back