Pass Around 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

catskinner

Registered
Registered
Terry thanks for the information. Most if not all of the local small shops around here have closed. I hate it. there is one in a town a short distance from SA that I may be able to check with. It will go out as is for now.
t
You can always get out the epoxy and the furniture wax like I suggested earlier, it does work. I have repaired many guns with stripped out screws in their stocks, butt plates, tang screws etc.

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
box 2 on its way to extropic kept a couple of small bits, and a inside small inside mic. Put in a few other items Was told it weighed over 20 lbs. forgot to put SA TX 10/30/15 on it before I sealed the box. Extropic can you put that on it for me.

catskinner

Registered
Registered
Box 1 arrived today in great shape, that thing is packed I took about 10 things out and could barley get the rest put back in. I will have to do some major planning to get the things I am putting in to fit.

catskinner

Registered
Registered
Just sent for Dave Enrico's info to ship it too him tomorrow. Here is a pic of what I chose out of the box. Hope some of you guys can use the stuff I put in there. machinist pass around2.jpg

'Topcraft

Registered
Registered
He was able to add me. Thanks autonoz!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

extropic

Active User
Registered
I received Box #2 (11-02) and opened it. There are lot of useable items in there but there is also much damage occurring. IMO, we need to do a better job of packaging each item so they’re protected from each other in transit. I’ve noticed four items, so far, that are significantly damaged, in transit, I think.
Box 2 Items Damage 1.jpg

Specifically, there is a used, but was useable, ¾” solid carbide, four flute, center cutting end mill which was wrapped only in a layer of blue shop towel. It now has at least two chipped tips (corners). I saw the largest chip in the towel when I unwrapped it, therefore I think that damage occurred in transit. Sorry for the poor focus.
Box 2 End Mill Damage.jpg

Also, a little borescope is badly damaged. The flashlight body has a substantial ding in it and the glass window is shattered. I didn’t find any glass shards so I guess it must have happened on a previous leg of the journey (before San Antonio). There is a small oil dispenser with a substantial ding that might not bother some, but a darn shame if it was donated in good condition.
Box 2 Borescope Oiler Damage.jpg

The last item is a metal tin, about 4.5” x 5.5” rectangular, who’s cover has been beaten in to a degree that would not be surprising if you found it laying in a parking lot. That's a 3/8" shank under the scale.
Box 2 Tin Lid Damage.jpg

The wooden inner box is weathering the storm well, at least by my expectations, but needs some attention. IMO, the wrap of metal hanging strap is the key to this thing holding together. That’s not to denigrate the original 1/2“ plywood box at all. It’s a great foundation but it’s taking a beating. I’ll do my thing and post regarding the refurbishment when completed.

kvt

Active User
The BoreScope was broken when I received it and put it back in thinking that if someone wanted it they could replace the glass, The oil can looks about the same as when I got it and put it back in. Did not look at the Endmill as it is way to big for my little machines. Blue box/lid was in ruff shape and I figured it was just in there to hold a few things together. How bad was the outer box, I'm thinking they must not be taking much care with these boxes since they are heavy. What gets me is that the stuff in box 1 did not seem to be getting beat up quite as much. Yea, they was some damage, (rod through the back of a book spine) but not a lot of real damage other wise. And it did not have really any padding material in it. Thus why is the content of this box getting so beat up. Any ideas?

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
You guys ever hear of Bubble Wrap? It would stop 90% of the damage I see here. You can't put metal objects in one box without protection and expect no damage.

"Billy G"

kvt

Active User
You put that much bubble wrap in and you would not have room for half th tools and stuff that is in there. I just cannot figure out how stuff in one box without any padding is holding up better than the one that has some padding.

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
Bubble wrap was just a suggestion, there are many ways to keep items from moving. I bow out of this one since suggestions are not wanted. Terry, autonoz, my apologies for stepping in here to try and help. Won't happen again.

"Billy G"

autonoz

Active User
Registered
No apologies necessary Bill. Suggestions are exactly what are needed here. The key to keeping things from being damaged is to not have any movement of the items once the box is closeed and bubble wrap is a good choice. There is all sizes of bubble wrap. Again as Bill has said there are plenty of alternatives. I have noticed with some recent packages I have received, there is a lot of damage to the package. Not sure why this is happening, but I have never had these types of problems in the past. I put the blue metal container in the original box to hold some taps I believe, so it has been in the box for quite a while. Lets just take a little more care to securely package the box before we ship it and hope for the best. If we need to remove an item or two to accomodate more padding then please do so. Once the box is in the hands of USPS there is nothing more we can control. Have fun!

John Hasler

Active User
Former Member
It helps a lot to pack things so that heavy items are wedged in place and so cannot move around. Things with sharp points or edges such as end mills should be in cardboard or plastic tubes, both to protect them and to protect other stuff. Given how dense most of the stuff is I'd suggest stiffer packing than bubble wrap. If the box rattles after you put the lid on you need to repack.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
I can tell you the oil can was pristine in this box it's small but comes in handy. I put it in along with several other new in package items and used items too. The tin box was totaled when I rec, it . The postal people go postal with heavy boxes , I said that before I signed up its a luck of the draw if stuff gets there at all .i tried to pack tight but if it's thrown it's bound to explode.The bore scope was busted when it came to me.

Billh50

Active User
Registered
This may sound strange but I have used speedy dry or cat litter to take up space in packages. It worked well. May create a bit of a mess unpacking unless it is unpacked over a drop cloth. The litter can be reused many many times. But if using it is best to use NEW CLEAN Kitty Litter.

catskinner

Registered
Registered
I put bubble wrap in box 2 when I packed it, probably had to be removed to get more stuff in, I totally understand.

roadkillbobb

Registered
Registered
painters blue masking tape works great to cover any sharp edges on tools in the box, and it peels off very easy..just another suggestion...smaller items can be taped to cardboard to keep them in place too...

extropic

Active User
Registered
My bad. I should have mentioned that the box seemed quite solidly packaged when I got it. No sense of contents rattling or shifting significantly. Of course, I was only hand carrying the box.

No doubt the USPS doesn't 'hand carry' them. I figure if the box doesn't have tire tracks on it, or similar evidence of extreme mishandling, damaged contents is due to inadequate packaging. We're all clever people and capable of preventing the damage, if we anticipate the reality. Rather than imagining that the box will be handled considerately, think of it being tossed across your garage and landing on a corner or edge (never squarely on an planar side) on the concrete floor. Think of that happening a few times (per recipient). Package accordingly. Better to have fewer items in decent shape than nice items damaged in transit.

Oh, there were a few square feet of 'bubble pack' in the box. One sheet, about 2 sqft, literally only had a few 'bubbles' left so really just plastic sheet at this point. I'll replace all. Since we're spit-balling ideas, Styrofoam peanuts and 'cat litter' are acceptable filler for solid items (without cavities) but a serious aggravation to clean out of every nook and cranny of many items in this box. IMO, please don't use Styrofoam peanuts (which will end up as granules) or any other granular filler. IMO, fill item contours with crinkled news print, wrap in more layers of news print and tape all over. That method will 'smooth' the protrusions and cavities. Really sharp corners and points need even more protection. Fill all voids with tightly packed wadded paper or foam rubber scraps.

Last night, I stuffed the worn screw holes with tooth picks and wood glue. Also injected glue and clamped some areas of delamination. More refurbishment to come.

roadkillbobb

Registered
Registered
spray expanding foam will keep it from rattling..but getting it apart would be fun..lol:grin big:

catskinner

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know dave enrico? He hasn't responded to my PM's, he is next in line for box 1.

The Liberal Arts Garage

Active User
From the packer of the first box; ... I packed it pretty tight. I am surprised at the
repeated assaults. If some of you happy paranoids out there have paper shredders
try coarse (brown) paper well tucked, shall I say rammed? ......BLJHB

kvt

Active User
I wander if they (USPS) keeps dropping/Throwing it etc, hoping it will break open so they can see what is in it since it is normally packed tight enough that it does not really rattle, and is so heavy. All I have to say it the wooden inner box was a good idea, and has held up to their punishment. The guys that built both of them did great.

autonoz

Active User
Registered
Does anyone know dave enrico? He hasn't responded to my PM's, he is next in line for box 1.
He was on here on tuesday afternoon. Give him some more time to respond. I also sent him a message.

dave enrico

Registered
Registered
hello everyone this is dave enrico,ill have to pass on this right now with work and a sick wife i just have to much on my plate,i dont want to hang everyone up so later on maybe i can get reinstated dave

autonoz

Active User
Registered
hello everyone this is dave enrico,ill have to pass on this right now with work and a sick wife i just have to much on my plate,i dont want to hang everyone up so later on maybe i can get reinstated dave
Thanks for responding. Absolutely take care of the wife. We will skip you for now and if and when your ready, let me know and I will add you back onto the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock