Pass Around 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
It was part of one of the "swarf wands" I included when I sent the box out. I always place some kind of washer or barrier on the outside of the brass tube, to stop the swarf from climbing up when the magnet is raised (so that it will release). Those hose end packaging parts happened to fit the tube nicely. Kudos to kvt for correctly identified its origin! The discoloration is probably remainders of the adhesive I used to keep it in position on the tube.

These photos show another kind of barrier that I've used at times.
kHPIM3659.jpg kHPIM3660.jpg

extropic

Active User
Registered
John & Ken,
Thanks for the info. It doesn't belong where I put it.
I hadn't seen the "swarf wand" before. Another cool tool for my project list!
Off to the USPS.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
Ex , nice pictures , I saw the washer too and left it , I've got a bunch of them . The box wasn't real bad when it left here, had to move two screws to hold lid down . The scope was broken and like you I put it back in. Hope you get some use of the items . I lightened the box some but not enough I guess , I'm not signed up for the first box, I'll wait till spring if it keeps moving around . Hope your over the pukeamonnia , I've had that several times and now get the shot every ten yrs. or when ever.

extropic

Active User
Registered
Thanks Silver,
It's kvt that had Pneumonia, hope "had" is the correct tense.

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Go to the first post in this list, the link I there.

ogberi

Active User
Registered
Hi All,

Box number 2 showed up on Saturday, but between work, the divorce, work, setting up a new home workstation, work, and life, and work, I didn't get a chance to go through it until Sunday night.

Extropic, *fantastic* packing job! You set the bar for it, and I intend to send it out just as well packed as it showed up. Not to mention, that going through the box was like Christmas come early! All these mysteries to unwrap! Woohoo!

I kept three items from the box, and promptly ransacked my Kennedys to refill it.

What I kept:
A well-used but still perfectly good Federal DI. It's got some wear and tear, and needs a good cleaning, but I needed a good DI, and with some love and care, this one will serve me for years to come. Many thanks to whomever put it in the box!
The second item is something I desperately needed. A Craftsman 2-3" micrometer. I have a 0-1" (import), a 1-2" B&S (a gift from a departed friend), and have been piddling along with some import digital calipers for anything bigger. I checked the Craftsman against the B&S using my 1-2-3 blocks and a 1" standard that came with the B&S. The Craftsman is about two fine red hairs off from the B&S. A little bit of cleaning with a polishing cloth, and a once-over with a barely dampened lint free cloth (followed by a wipe down with a lightly oiled cloth) and the Craftsman looks fantastic (pic before cleaning). As with the Federal, it will be in use for years to come. Another Thank You to whomever put it in there. I truly appreciate it!
The last item is a 1/2" HSS toolbit. Having moved up from a Taig lathe to a 9" South Bend, I've come to appreciate nice, chunky toolbits over the 1/4" ones I have been using. A world of difference. Rest assured, that toolbit will get ground, sharpened, honed, then used (lather, rinse, repeat) until I can't hold it in a toolholder anymore. I expect that'll take quite awhile. :) Another big Thanks!

Here's my haul -
stuff.jpg

These three tools will be invaluable in my shop. With everything that's going on, my hobby budget right now is non-existent (thankfully, I'm a pretty good scrounger!), and these will be of tremendous use and value to me. These sort of things don't turn up cheaply around here, and usually when they do turn up, they're either broken, extremely abused, or simply priced far too high.

Tomorrow, I'll re-package the rest of the original contents of the box, plus adding things to it. If there's any extra space and I run out of goodies to put in there, I'll make sure it's well padded so nothing gets mangled when USPS plays forklift hockey with the box. It should go out Wednesday or Thursday, and I'll be PM'ing the next recipient soon for their address.

A question - Does the borescope use a plain sheet of glass for the mirror, a front-surface mirror, or a one-way mirror for the reflector?

Autonoz, this whole pass-around is a great idea. Thanks for getting it all started!

Shad H. - aka - Ogberi

Terrywerm

Registered
Registered
The fellow that made the borescope (hman) told me that the glass is a microscope slide, trimmed to fit. Sad part is that I cannot remember what he said he used for adhesive. hman, are you out there, and can you answer?

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I use "Go2 Glue" to hold the glass to the PVC. My preferred glass is actually some double-wide microscope slides. I found a box of these sometime in the distant past, and they're now earmarked for this purpose. I like them because they're thin and easy to "grind" to shape with a Dremel diamond wheel. I have used ordinary window glass in the past - just found it difficult to get nicely shaped.

As for the PVC "right angle", it's from a ¾" cross, cut in half on the bandsaw. The funny color of the ones I sent out in Box #2 was from my attempt to darken the plastic (ie, reduce stray light). I'd boiled the pieces in black Rit dye for about 3/4 hour. Not much of the dye got into the plastic, more's the pity.

I do plan to look for silvered window films to apply to the glass and make it partially reflective. According to my calculations (I actually used calculus!), the best usable image should happen with 50% reflection and 50% transmission. 50% bean splitters are available from various optics and surplus vendors, but are very spendy. It shouldn't be too hard to find reflective film here in Arizona, but I've been working on other stuff and also had a medical issue this past month (since resolved completely).

kHPIM4011.jpg

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
In looking at the Spread Sheets I see that Box #1 is with "wlwhittier' and Box #2 is with "ogberi". Is this correct as of this point? I lost track when this computer went down.

"Billy G"

autonoz

Active User
Registered
In looking at the Spread Sheets I see that Box #1 is with "wlwhittier' and Box #2 is with "ogberi". Is this correct as of this point? I lost track when this computer went down.

"Billy G"
Yes, that is correct Bill. I have messaged wlwhittier the info he requested on how to locate the next person. Seems as though everything is moving along nicely.

wlwhittier

Registered
Registered
YUP! Next is clockmaker.

Do I PM him (her?) for an address? I see the spreadsheet only lists machinery. wlw

ogberi

Active User
Registered
The cardboard containers did an excellent job of protecting everything, and they'll work as interim safe storage containers until I can get a free weekend to make a couple of wooden boxes for the goodies. Got a newspaper, more tape, and some free time this evening I set aside to repack the box. Should be able to mail it Wednesday or Thursday, depending on my schedule.

Thanks! Reaching out to the next recipient now.

Chippy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member

"Billy G"
Looks like clockmaker will be receiving box 1 & 2 at the same time. Not sure if that is that is a good or bad thing?

wlwhittier

Registered
Registered
I'm either stupid, or unobservant. Time's a'wasting!

I can't find how to PM clockmaker to get his name, address and phone number.

Last opportunity to mail Box 1 to him will be Friday next; I'll be out of state for the week of Turkey day.

If anyone knows him, or can direct me to the appropriate method for a PM: Please Help!

Thanks...wlw

catskinner

Registered
Registered
I'm either stupid, or unobservant. Time's a'wasting!

I can't find how to PM clockmaker to get his name, address and phone number.

Last opportunity to mail Box 1 to him will be Friday next; I'll be out of state for the week of Turkey day.

If anyone knows him, or can direct me to the appropriate method for a PM: Please Help
Thanks...wlw
Go to the top of the page and put the mouse over you inbox, this will cause a drop down to appear that says "Start a new conversation" click on that and you will be able to put clockmaker in there and then you can send him the message.

wlwhittier

Registered
Registered
Thanks, catskinner...I did that yesterday, but didn't know that was a PM.

Have no response yet. Perhaps he's on holiday. wlw

woodrowm

Active User
Registered
Good morning - I appears that clockmaker is on box 1 & 2.

Thanks,
Woodrow

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hmmmm ... sounds like clockmaster has the opportunity for some creative cross-pollination between the boxes ;~)

autonoz

Active User
Registered
Not sure if clockmaker has responded to any PM's, but I have reached out to him as well. If has, great. If not he may shortly

wlwhittier

Registered
Registered
USPS Tracking Number for Box #1: 9505 5110 0636 5323 4264 79

En-route to clockmaker. wlw

ogberi

Active User
Registered
Mailing box #2 out tomorrow morning. Life got in the way yesterday. :/

Clockmaker

The Village Clockmaker.
Registered
I need the addresses of vfource61 and jpfabricator. I took a few small things and put in inside and outside calipers and two small chucks. Box two is packed beautifully. Box one, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock