Pass Around 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

autonoz

Active User
Registered
On another forum I belong to they have a pass around game. A box is filled with stuff and sent to the next person. That person takes a few things he is interested in and then replaces them with items he thinks the next person would want. Has this been done here? Is there any interest in it?

*** EDIT ***
Here is a tracking link so everyone can see where the box is and where/when it's going next.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c9ibB9G2luefRS7bvUguhZ58EZwUCcEHILNHdTB6a_E/edit?usp=sharing

***Edit to include Rules, per OP request***

Rules for pass around game;

Items must be related to our hobby

Item may be an item you made with our hobby

No items may be edible, alive, or alive in the past

No illegal items

Replace the same number of items as you remove if room permits.

Consider the value of the items you remove and replace with comparable if possible. Just be reasonable.

No bad mouthing items if they are not up to your standards, be respectful of the previous senders

Pictures are welcomed and encouraged

If the box is in your presence it is your responsibility to contact the next member below you on the list for their address

It is desired that the box is mailed out no later than seven days of receiving it. Life happens, we know, but make an honest effort to follow this timeline.

If box needs replaced because of damage, please do so, the boxes are free.

I say list your main equipment (mini lathe, mini mill, full size lathe or mill etc.) next to your name on the spreadsheet and maybe the sender will have something related to your machines. There are no guarantees.

Remember the cost of shipping is for a medium flat rate box. $12.65 There are no guarantees that the items in the box will be something useful to you or even reach the value of the amount you pay to ship. I hope this is not the case but be part of this at your own risk.

Post 55 has the link to the spreadsheet

As of right now this is for the US only until there is an agreement on shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
They wouldn't want to send it to my place! It would turn into a 100 lb box of stuff in a heart beat! Definitely a neat idea.

It sounds good. You can pm me for my adress! LOL :D
Seriously, are trere any steadfast rules to adhere to?

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

i am in , a bullet casting forum i belong to does this as well . and it is quite amazing how long a few of the boxes have been making their way back and forth across the country .
along with some of the really great stuff that has been given and taken .

and a few rules wouldnt be a bad idea , while the rules would be up to op , a few basic rules that made things go smoothly on the other forum are ..

good contact info before shipping to the next person in line , including a telephone number and email address of both the sender and receiver , this helped to keep track of the box a few times simply because
crap happens ... computers crash ,poor access to the internet and people have emergencies, etc etc etc

and shipping .... keeping it limited to a specific usps flat rate box really simplifies things , everyone knows what the postage will be ,and makes it very simple to keep it in a nice fresh undamaged box. ... and a 70lb weight limit :)

the one key thing that made it a huge success was .... forgetting about the monetary value of what you take out and put in .

I agree with the flat rate box. If we can get enough interest I think it would be fun to do.

I think it is a great idea. Maybe create a 'sticky' thread just for the pass around box. When one person sends the box out, he posts that it has been sent, and the username of who he sent it to. When that person receives the box, he posts a 'receipt' thanking the sender. Once he has the box ready to go again, he posts a 'send' notice in the thread. Keeping track of the box in this way means that no one person is stuck with the job of keeping track of it.

There should also be a limit as to how long the box may stay in one person's possession. Ten or fifteen days should be more than enough time in most cases to allow for vacation absences, etc. and get it on its way again.

The only other problem I can see is that there may be complications when sending to a member that lives overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back