Pass Around 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck with sick wife

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Bubble wrap was just a suggestion, there are many ways to keep items from moving. I bow out of this one since suggestions are not wanted. Terry, autonoz, my apologies for stepping in here to try and help. Won't happen again.

"Billy G"

As Autonoz said, no apologies are necessary, Bill. In reality, this is Autonoz's gig, I just help out a little when I can so he doesn't have to bear it all by himself. Likewise, your help and advice is appreciated as well, no need for you to feel as though you need to butt out!

I must admit that I also am guilty of not packing the contents well enough when the boxes were here. I packed them in a manner that I thought was adequate, but I could have done better. My son put things into perspective for me when we recently discussed the subject. He worked for a time as a package handler at UPS. Package handlers there have their performance rated based on the number of packages they can handle per hour, with the more the better. Fast handling translates into poor handling, in other words the roughest treatment you can imagine. Packages are thrown and tossed in careless fashion with little or no concern for contents. I would assume that USPS, Fed Ex, and others set the bar for their package handlers as well, with similar results.

On the flip side, I wonder how many other packages have been damaged by our boxes due to their significant weight and robust construction. There's some food for thought!

Sometimes I feel like the Monkey Wrench in the gears here but at the same time I feel OK with it. I only watch and suggest to make sure things go right.

"Billy G"

Bill G, don't hesitate to chime in. If you trod on a toe, it's because it's over the line. I've seen you to be fair and competent, based on the posts you have made. As for handling the boxes, my wife is a postal carrier. The heavier it is, the more they hate it and slam it around. A 30lb box had better be able to take the abuse, cause it'll get plenty. Good packing is essential, and odds'n'ends make good fillers.

I enjoy this sort of game so would like to see it carry on, I would be willing to fabricate a 1/8" thick aluminum box with a screw on lid that fits inside the USPS Flat Rate box and ship it to whomever has the original at the time. I also like the challenge of having the USPS try to damage it.
I work in a fair sized machine shop so we have a large amount of drops at hand, I am not a welder by trade but am proficient at it and it does not have to be beautiful (-:
We do mostly stainless parts so aluminum is less common, this may take several weeks to finish. I also have a very nice employer that will allow the machinists to do personal projects off the clock using whatever equipment required.
Let me know what you think.

Actually the plywood boxes are holding up well it is mostly a learning curve on the packing of the inside.

Actually the plywood boxes are holding up well it is mostly a learning curve on the packing of the inside.
They're going to wear out eventually, though, so it might be good to have a metal replacement available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back