Pass Around 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they do have a weight limit now, it used to be if it fits it ships, now I think it is 70#. Box 1 had 36# when I shipped it yesterday, probably if I poured it full of lead shot I might have made 70#.

It may helpa little to put a "heavy" sticker on the box.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

I think the pass around box contents have taken a back seat to whoever can build a USPS destruction prove box..lol:courage:
reinforced titanium box may work..they have big 18 wheelers to run those boxes over with....

It may helpa little to put a "heavy" sticker on the box.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

A sticker might be counterproductive. A buddy of mine, that worked for UPS, told me every box gets tossed underhand "marked FRAGILE goes overhand".

I look at it this way. If you don't want heavy packages then don't allow them. If as supervisors you have employees mishandling heavy packages because it is to much work then get rid of them and maybe leave yourself. I don't take customer service lightly and if we are paying then we deserve the best customer service they can offer. You may say this is not realistic in todays workforce and your probably right. There is no integrity anymore.

If
I think they do have a weight limit now, it used to be if it fits it ships, now I think it is 70#. Box 1 had 36# when I shipped it yesterday, probably if I poured it full of lead shot I might have made 70#.
If I remember rightly ( I can't guarantee any more ,it started out @ 40 lbs.) the
first box was ~ 20. .........BLJHB.

Box 2: When I wrote "Wednesday for sure" I didn't factor in Veterans day. I showed up but USPS was closed so, Thursday for sure.

Here are the items I kept. The set in the red case is a style of screw extractor that I wasn't familiar with. I was able to order replacements for the missing parts because Rigid still sells this style. Replacement drill bits, no problem. There is a 1/2" end mill holder w/ MT 3 shank. The 3 jaw chuck is junk (hammered on, non functional) so I took it (for my scrap bin) to make room in the box. All (14) the black hex/threaded things are 3 sizes of rest buttons (I sometime use as jig feet) that will come in handy. The remainder is pretty obvious.
Pass Around Kept.jpg

I left the damaged borescope in the box because I enjoyed seeing (touching) a neat project like that one. I had previously read the post on the project, but it really came to life for me 'in the flesh', so to speak. I thought it might be motivational to see. I hope others will like it too.

My expectations were that this whole thing would be much simpler, faster, less work than it turned out to be. What else is new? However, the box is in good shape (for now anyway) and the contents are much better protected. There was a shank on the chuck (that I kept) and I thought the shank might be serviceable (if not bent by the hammering that the chuck experienced). I separated the shank from the chuck, cleaned off the most tenacious tape & goo that I've ever encountered, stoned down the gouges and dings and packaged it. I made custom packaging for three of the more fragile/precision items. I laminated (glued) sheets of cardboard into a stack taller than the item. Then, cut out a pocket (nest) for the item and glued on a bottom. Packed the item inside with a little news print, covered with cardboard and wraped the whole thing in news print, taped. I wrapped each shank and collet in paper and stuffed each into a roll from paper towels/toilet tissue.

Please package items well. I vote for fewer, nicer (not trashed in transit) items rather than a greater selection of beat-up projects.

Please don't apply tape directly on any items, including cardboard packaging. Wrap the items in paper, then tape the paper. Paper is free (junk mail abounds) and easier to re-do than cleaning all the tape/residue off of items.

Be careful out there.

Last edited:
As for the borescope - I have the parts for several more. So when either box comes around my way, I'll be adding a couple. I'll also try to find some way to package/protect them - at least the glass portion. How to keep the aluminum flashlight housing from getting severely dented might be a horse of a different color ;~)

As for the borescope - I have the parts for several more. So when either box comes around my way, I'll be adding a couple. I'll also try to find some way to package/protect them - at least the glass portion. How to keep the aluminum flashlight housing from getting severely dented might be a horse of a different color ;~)

John,
There was a small part, loose in the box, that I didn't recognize or know what to do with. It fit into the 'objective' end of the ell fitting so I stuck it in there. Is it part of the borescope?

Pass Around Loose Part.jpg

That looks like a piece of plastic that comes with replacement hose end. I do not remember seeing it, but I did have my grandson around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back