Pass Around 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Always good when you have a presant at the door when you get home from work. Top one turned out to be my benchmark abrasive promo wheels. :cool:Pretty dam heavy box looks good no damage. I have some work ahead of me. image.jpeg

Brento

Registered
Registered
As much as i would love to participate again ill probably have to pass. Have just a lot going on that the box would just sit for to long.

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
First I want to say thank you for opportunity I think this is a great deal for people to exchange or just donate tooling to where you know it will get used.
Also wanna say thanks to whomever made the hand scraper grinding gauge been wanting one of those. Everything I took will be very useful to me. Can put my tooling grinder to work. Box will be in the mail tomorrow thanks again. 5FC4A210-64C0-4341-BFA0-1CA11ED64785.jpeg

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
H-M Supporter Gold Member
First I want to say thank you for opportunity I think this is a great deal for people to exchange or just donate tooling to where you know it will get used.
Also wanna say thanks to whomever made the hand scraper grinding gauge been wanting one of those. Everything I took will be very useful to me. Can put my tooling grinder to work. Box will be in the mail tomorrow thanks again.

What are those parts in the bag for? My friend Paul put those in the box, we have no idea what they are...

dlane

Active User
Registered
It would be nice if things going in the box would be hobby machinist related and useful ,not things you don’t know what they are.

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
The items in the bag are for holding a hss blank in a large boring bar for lineboring. You bore a perpendicular hole the size of these inserts into your boring bar. Insert your sharp tool bit and adjust your depth of bit by the setscrew in the insert. Very handy.

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
It would be nice if things going in the box would be hobby machinist related and useful ,not things you don’t know what they are.
I felt one mans trash is another mans treasure. The carbide inserts I grabbed maybe had two good corners in the box but I have a tool grinder and a diamond wheel, now I’ll practice how to regrind them to be new agains thanks to whomever added those too.

extropic

Active User
Registered
It would be nice you try to learn about something for once in your life... Instead of insulting a man for putting free $100 bills in a box for you.

Rule 6. No bad mouthing items if they are not up to your standards, be respectful of the previous senders efforts.

I hope that what Cooter meant to say was: Although we weren't sure of their exact application, we thought they looked like valuable (costly) bits and expected them to be useful to another participant.

Last edited:

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Ok guys. The rest of us are moving along now. No need to escalate any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Just got out of the post office. Wish I had a camera to show the girls face when I put on scale. :eek: Priceless! She asked what was in there so I told her. She said she has a father that is a machinist and would be interested so I gave her the site and info on the box. Box is 37# should be there by sat.

And sorry I would have fixed the one thread insert but when I found out after the box was packed and inserts were on the bottom. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hey everyone,

Just a quick reminder about sharing information on the forum. Please keep sharing of private contact info such as addresses, phone numbers, email, etc. inside the private messaging system and not on the public threads. One thing to also remember, but isn't always obvious at the time, is that sometimes people will share tracking information on the public thread as well. This then makes the recipient's home address available to the public as well. So please make sure that when you share tracking info, that you do that within PM and/or private email as well.

As a reminder, we ask Pass Around Box members to share contact info with the moderators (@autonoz and @vtcnc). The purpose of this is to make sure we can contact you if something goes wrong with the process (i.e., you are sitting on the box for weeks at a time - yes, it has happened). We DO NOT share this information with anybody. Rather, you are responsible for reaching out the next member on the public list shared at the beginning of this thread to get their address for shipping the box. Again, please do that via PM first and then take it to private email if both parties wish to do so.

Thanks, and PM me with any questions.

Bryan (vtcnc)

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Sorry and thanks for editing vtcnc. I had seen another tracking # posted so I assumed that was protocol. :rolleyes: :cool:

kvt

Active User
The box has lost a few pounds in weight, The look on their face is great especially when you set it on the counter and they go to pick it up. Even with the heavy stickers I think they go like it could not be that heavy.

you can add me back at the bottom of the list even if I do not get to use it for a while I will have fun looking through it.

Wife's only problem is that I do it in the middle of the living room floor.

dtsh

Registered
Registered
The most important items I took from the box were ideas, worth at least twice the cost of shipping. A couple of items I want to specifically call attention to...
The ground HSS bits of various shapes and sizes, whomever put those in there, thank you kindly. I routinely mangle bits and having examples (in some cases, large examples) to hold and examine are quite useful in improving my results. Drawings and videos help, but nothing compares to holding a fine example in your hand. Those are still in the box for the next person's advantage as well.

This is what I took. Some may think it's trivial, but I can't tell you how many times I wish I had something better than a paring knife that won't hold an edge in my toolbox. Getting one never seems to make it onto my shopping list so another thank you to whomever placed it there.

pob2018-2.jpg

I put in a "special materials" item, you'll know it when/if you see it. It's value is less than may of the other items in the box, but I thought one of our members might turn it into something interesting. If you make something from it, please post it!

One last note, I allowed a couple of co-workers to examine the box and encouraged them to take something if it was useful to them. Entertainingly, it was some small HSS blanks which I had put in there that got taken due to the destination machine being a Sherline (I replaced them with more).

Edit: It's in the mail with an estimated arrival of Thursday. The clerk said it weighed 48lbs.

682bear

Registered
Registered
The box arrived today.... I'll go through it tomorrow and get it out as quickly as possible.

PM sent to the next member on the list...

-Bear

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hey gang! Just a friendly reminder that there is no rush on getting the box in and out of the shop within a day or two. If somebody has the box for 3-4 days that is absolutely fine. We only ask that if you are going to need to sit on it for longer than that then please notify the group of the status. Radio silence is not helpful for anyone so please communicate!

We have had great participation this year with no mishaps - over 30 members on the list and we are just over the halfway mark on the calendar, so if you want the box for an extra day, by all means do so.

Bryan

682bear

Registered
Registered
Sorry... I have been wrapped up in trying to catch up on yardwork that backed up on me during a 3 week vacation to Alberta and British Columbia...

I finally found time to ship the box today. It should arrive at Fitter Bills house Monday.

This is what I kept out of the box...

20180711_080204.jpg

-Bear

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
What sizes are the 2 taps? I know that 1 is a 1/8-27 pipe tap, I just restocked the box with them.....

Please take more from the box guys. It's on the way back to me I need some more air. Almost everything I put in there only cost me $1/lb so don't feel like that box is full of gold.

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
happy to see you got that dovetail cutter. I must have got fifty of them different sizes, cuts, and many duplicates all new from a auction awhile back.i could never use all of them. :encourage:

kvt

Active User
It is coming back to me before it gets to you, I will try not to re stuff it to much. But have to make it into the shop, right now house remodel projects have my shop so full of other stuff that I can't get to my stuff to use it.

682bear

Registered
Registered
happy to see you got that dovetail cutter. I must have got fifty of them different sizes, cuts, and many duplicates all new from a auction awhile back.i could never use all of them. :encourage:
I really appreciate the dovetail cutter... I was about to go buy one. I'm gonna try my hand at making some toolholders for my qctp... thanks!

-Bear

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Contact info sent. I'm having anchovy paste and herring for lunch, so I could wait with bait-ed breath!

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
The box arrived today (Saturday). 47.6 pounds of fun. I'll be contacting HMAN for shipping information.
Fitter Bill
Please take AT least 10 lbs of stuff and don't replace it with anything and don't feel bad at all because I'm going to hook it up

Last edited:

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Please take AT least 10 lbs of stuff and don't replace it with anything and don't feel bad at all because I'm going to hook it up
LOL. Never thought I'd hear the term "hook it up" related to a group of guys mailing a box of tooling to each other...

On a slightly more serious note, and probably goes without saying, but make sure any dead space in the box is well taken up with padding of some sort. Some items have been broken in transit and they end up getting sorted out over time - just want to make sure your good will makes it to the next recipient!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock