Pass Around 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tombstone

Registered
Registered
I love the ider of "pass around 2018" to bad for me I live in Australia. But I happy to just wached the box and see all the pic posted of the things you pick :-D.

dtsh

Registered
Registered
I love the ider of "pass around 2018" to bad for me I live in Australia. But I happy to just wached the box and see all the pic posted of the things you pick :-D.
Think we have enough Australian members to start a "Pass Around box Australia"?

¡ʇno llɐɟ llɐ plnoʍ sʇɹɐd ǝɥʇ 'noʎ oʇ xoq ɐ puǝs ʇ,uɐɔ ǝM

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Box arrived today. I just ate dinner now I’m trying to get my 10 month old to take a nap, his teeth are hurting him, I’ll post some pics later this evening once I get my son asleep and the box opened.
Pics of your boy teething and you comforting him or the tooling? :grin:
Note: Kiddo comes first....

Redmech

Registered
Registered
I dropped box off at PO this morning. 42 pounds. They said if it wasn’t in a flat rate box it’d cost 49$ to ship.

B

Brento

Forum Guest
Register Today
What would you use a scraping gauge for? Im guessing thats what vtc made and put in the box. He is a cute kid, looks just like his pop.

Redmech

Registered
Registered
Very cool scraping gauge for sure. Harley (my son) is a keeper, loves getting in my stuff.

What would you use a scraping gauge for? Im guessing thats what vtc made and put in the box. He is a cute kid, looks just like his pop.

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I need to get me one of those scraper gauges, that's awesome. I had no idea what to do with that brazed carbide tool, I hope you can find a reason for it. I still have way to many of those 1/8-27 taps

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
What do you use it for @vtcnc ive never heard of it before.
The scallops around the edges are different radius gages for measuring the scraper blade radius when you are sharpening or honing your scrapers. The square in the middle is 1" square and is used as a window to frame your high spots (dots) so that you can count the dots per inch that you scrape. I am a complete novice level 0 in hand scraping, but thought it would be fun and useful to have a gage as I learn more.

There are a ton of info, experts and threads on H-M about hand scraping ways and restoring machines if you are more interested.

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need to get me one of those scraper gauges, that's awesome. I had no idea what to do with that brazed carbide tool, I hope you can find a reason for it. I still have way to many of those 1/8-27 taps
Everyone prior to me on the Pass Around Box list will be getting one in the mail soon!

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Received package, even grabbed a pic of my son, he is a bit happier at this moment. Just caught him tryin to eat mud off my coal mine work boots. But on to pics of what I grabbed.
View attachment 263727
I couldn't figure out how this tool would be used? Is it used for spot facing? The tool geometry was throwing me off the scent...

Redmech

Registered
Registered
I couldn't figure out how this tool would be used? Is it used for spot facing? The tool geometry was throwing me off the scent...
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going t o just put it in the mill and start with soft materials. It just sort of caught my interest.

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going t o just put it in the mill and start with soft materials. It just sort of caught my interest.
It might work well cutting plastic on the lathe..... The store I got that tool from had a ton of tooling for automatic screw machines, it might not work in the mill..... Maybe use it to make a flat bottom hole on the lathe? How wide is the carbide on that tool?

Last edited:

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Had a brief discussions with @12bolts who is in Austrailia. He offered this for our consideration:

However our mail system is nowhere near as cost effective as yours.
1: We dont have a flat rate parcel service
2: We dont have a really comparable standard size package to yours. We have a (roughly, converted) 15" x 11" x 2 1/2" mailing box. Or a 12" x 9" x 4" Plenty of other sizes but they are all big cubes or thin rectangles.
3: Max weight that can be posted in Australia is (roughly) 48 lbs.
4:The cheapest (slowest) method between Sydney and Melbourne, (2 reasonably close capital cities, think LA to SanFran), for a 45 lb parcel is $36. Across the country Perth to Sydney, $67 (2500 miles), or Darwin to Hobart, $130 (2800 miles).
There are a few alternative courier systems available in Oz that are marginally cheaper than Australia Post for smaller light packages, but for anything above 5 or so lbs will cost more as they are not set up to handle heavier things.
The nice thing about the U.S. Postal system is their flat rate structure. To participate in our Pass Around, you get a free box and only need to shell out $13.95 for up to 70 lbs.!

Unless you can find a cheaper, reliably consistent method of passing around a standard size box, it looks like Australia's system is cost prohibitive for this type of member activity.

dlane

Active User
Registered
Our postal service is broke , I expect prices to go up like everything else.

dtsh

Registered
Registered
I comandeered a V block, scraping gauge, and countersink.

pob2018.jpg

Edit: I'll update when it's been dropped off at the PO.
Edit to edit: It's shipped

Last edited:

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
:cry: but thanks for looking into it.. it save me lots of work.....
No problem, glad to help where I can, but credit goes to @12bolts for finding the rates and details of the Australian postal programs.

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
Just checked tracking...
P*ss Poor Database programming. I tell ya, Database meltdown, I've been ranting about it fer years.
'If then' and 2+2 = 3 somehow...
How can the system display "In Transit to Next Facility" and yet state that 'Expected Delivery by' is tonight in about 90 minutes?
-hehe (I did check the front porch, JIC I had missed it.)

1522967619629.png

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
I have done my share of programming, including rule based programming. USPS software has room for a LOT of improvements. The Expected Delivery function seems to be set at the start, but is not updated with later events. I also feel the frustration. I do not know what code effort would be required to improve "Expected Delivery" but it should be possible.

My pet peeve is when a package goes awry. The tracking stops. I have had packages sent from Eastern PA to California, go to Florida. Then a week or so of silence. Tracking started again when the package got to the local Post Office.

I wish more software would state the next location. Normally states it has left a location, but does not state where it is going. The physical shipment knows where it is going, so why not reflect this in the tracking........

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
Perhaps it's just the reality of an older system and some poor smuck trying to interface it with the Web pages. Some incompatibility or something.

Much improved status update this morning.

1523025954266.png

extropic

Active User
Registered
(snip) The physical shipment knows where it is going, so why not reflect this in the tracking........
IMHO, the reason is because "destination" wasn't in the specification/system design that the programmer(s) worked to. My frustration is that nobody with a snowballs chance of improving the system will become aware of the issue so "it ain't broken". Is there a "What can we do better?" tab on the USPS site?

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
Arrived Friday. There's a valid reason for the delay.
We need to tape the h*ll out of the corners and edges gang.
I'll bet as the handling equipment is flopping it around to locate the barcode the edges and corners are taking hits cause it's so heavy.
Also lets do the employees and carriers a favor and affix a bunch of 'Heavy' stickers on the box. They are free at the PO.
Our neighbor is a carrier and she's bringing me some today. I'll stash extras in the box.
Now to grab some coffee and go open this puppy up.

0406181549.jpg

0406181549_HDR.jpg

0406181549a_HDR.jpg

0406181549b_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

dtsh

Registered
Registered
I see at least one of the "Caution heavy" stickers came off....

Looks like it got some rough treatment this time, good thing the case itself is sturdy and has the "if lost..." label affixed.

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
One of us needs to make a better and more permanent "If lost" label on that box... With possibly a permanent return address....

Last edited:

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
One of us needs to make a better and more permanent "If lost" label on that box... With possibly a permanent return address....
hehe - I stuck that 'IF Lost, return label' on it around two years ago, it's held up pretty well I'd say...

It took a hard hit on the conveyors or got dropped. One of the edges it 'nicked' pretty good.
We need to slather this puppy in heavy stickers - make it easier on the handlers. I was talking to our neighbor last night and she was explaining the POs lifting rules to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock