Pass Around 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrywerm

Registered
Registered
This is the thread for the 2018 Pass Around Box. It is a continuation of the project which started back in May of 2015.
To see the thread for the very first pass around project back in 2015, click on this link: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pass-around.35887/
To see the thread for the second pass around project, Pass Around 2016, click on this link: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pass-around-2016.43894/
To see the thread for the third pass around project, Pass Around 2017, click on this link: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pass-around-box-2017.53677/

For those who are not familiar with this project, I will explain:
We start off with a medium sized flat rate box from the USPS. It has a substantially braced aluminum interior box which is filled with various odds and ends, doo-dads and goo-gahs, not to mention thing-a-ma-jigs and whatchamacallits (highly technical terms for various machine shop related items :big grin:). People who wish to participate contact Autonoz or vtcnc and their names get added to the list of participants. The box gets sent from one participant to the next and the next, with each participant removing items of interest from the box when it arrives, then putting other items in their place before sending it to the next individual. This box will circulate down the list until late December at which time it will be returned to the originator. A new box will be started each year if the interest continues.

Here is a tracking link so everyone can see where the box is and where/when it's going next. This is a simple spreadsheet on Google Docs. Everyone can view it, however only Autonoz, vtcnc, and myself are able to edit it. The entire history of where the boxes have been is listed there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c9ibB9G2luefRS7bvUguhZ58EZwUCcEHILNHdTB6a_E/edit?usp=sharing

To have your name added, contact either Autonoz or vtcnc by way of a Conversation (Inbox, upper right corner of your screen) simply say so and we will add you. Please include a brief description of the equipment you have in your shop so that we can look ahead and try to include items that will fit what you have. We are also requiring that you supply us with a VALID email and phone number. This contact information will be available only to Autonoz, vtcnc and myself, but is necessary if the box becomes stagnant while in your possession so that we can contact you and figure out how to proceed. Participants need to request to be added to the list each time. Names do not cycle through or get added a second time automatically. If you want to be added again, let us know.

Every project like this needs to have a few rules to keep everything on the straight and narrow, here they are:
1. Items must be related to our hobby or it may be an item you made with our hobby.
2. No items may be edible, alive, or alive in the past (leather is okay)
3. No illegal items, hazardous materials, flammables, radioactive or strongly magnetic items - this is a USPS requirement :finger wag:
4. Replace the same number of items as you remove if room permits.
5. Consider the value of the items you remove and replace with comparable if possible. Just be reasonable.
6. No bad mouthing items if they are not up to your standards, be respectful of the previous senders efforts.
7. Photos of the items you keep should be posted in this thread. If you are unable to post photos, please post a good description of the items you kept.
8. Do not take photos or create descriptions of the items you put into the box... The contents are meant to be a surprise for each participant.
9. If the box is in your possession it is your responsibility to contact the next member below you on the list for his or her address.
10. It is desired that the box is mailed back out no later than seven days after receiving it. This gives each person plenty of time to decide what to keep, restock, repack, and send it on. Life happens, we know, but PLEASE make an honest effort to follow this timeline and keep the box moving. If you feel that you will not have time to give the box the care it deserves when you receive it, please speak up ahead of time, and we will move your name down the list so that you receive it at a time that may work better for you.
11. When the box arrives, please post an arrival notice in this thread. When you get it sent off, please post a shipping notice in this thread
12. If the inner box needs repair, please do so before shipping out again. If it becomes too severely damaged, contact Autonoz or TerryWerm so that we can arrange for a replacement box.
13. Repack the box carefully - add appropriate packing material to keep objects from moving around in the box. Please be sure to enter the date, your H-M screen name, city, and state in the enclosed log book.
14. Avoid adding duplicate items. Things like duplicate drill bits, drill chucks and the sort are a good example here.
15. If you find a broken item in the box, please remove it and do not put it back in the box. If you can remember to do so, let people know if you found a broken item.
16 Avoid brittle or delicate items such as stones or carbide tools prone to breakage - UNLESS - you have a good way to protect the item from damage.
17 Avoid soft, flexible items that could be crushed or bent in transit, things like bristle brushes or feeler gages - UNLESS - again, you have a good way to protect the item from damage.
18. The cardboard outer boxes are free from your local post office. Please replace if necessary.
19. Shipping will cost you $13.45 to send the box to the next participant. That is the only fee for participating.
20. Be aware that there is a weight limit of 70 lbs on the box. Anything that fits inside up to 70 lbs ships for one flat rate. The box weight has typically remained in the 30 to 40 pound range.
21. There are no guarantees that you will find anything useful in the box when it arrives, or that the items you keep will equal the cost of shipping. This is strictly for fun and does involve a bit of chance.
22. This project is open only to members that live in the United States because the flat rate boxes may only be used there. Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and other US possessions are not eligible.
23. Any member can get on the list as many times as he wishes, but we are going to require that there are at least ten individuals on the list between your entries.
24. If a member does not respond to a request for a shipping address within one week of being contacted, he will be skipped over. He can ask to be added to the list again at a later time.

If you agree to all of the rules listed here, then by all means, join in! :encourage:

If you have any questions, please speak up by either posting to this thread or by contacting Autonoz or myself through a Conversation.

Be aware that there are two different sizes of Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate box. We are using the box that has these dimensions: 11 7/8" x 3 3/8" x 13 5/8"

You can order the correct box right here: https://store.usps.com/store/browse...tegoryId=shipping-supplies&productId=P_PPFRB2

You order the box online and your mail carrier leaves it in your mailbox for you. You pay for it online ahead of time and print the mailing label and within a day or so the empty box is delivered to you. Once you have it and pack it up you can go online and schedule pickup of your package by your postal carrier. All you have to do is tell them online when to pick it up and where the box will be (in the mailbox, by the front door, etc). The last few times that I had pass around boxes here I handled it that way and it worked slick.

I thought I would pass this along as I am often on the road during the week and have no chance to go to the post office. It really helps out those who have exceptionally busy schedules.

At the end of the calendar year, the remaining members on the list will be carried over to start a new list for the new year. A new thread for the new year will also be started and the thread for the old year will be closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
New for 2018: I am looking for a volunteer to replace me and work with Autonoz to keep this project organized. I am not going anywhere, but my new duties here at H-M keep me a little too busy at times. I will still be popping in regularly to see how things are going and see what kind of neat stuff is getting passed around.

We really need to have two people holding the reins on this project, so that one person doesn't get stuck with all of the background work. Autonoz is a great person to work with, so if you are interested in assisting with this project, please contact Autonoz or myself by way of a private 'Conversation'.

ON EDIT: Long time member and Pass Around participant vtcnc is going to be assisting with this project going forward. Bryan stepped up to volunteer, and his willingness to do so is greatly appreciated. For any private communications regarding this project, members can contact him or Autonoz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir would you add a Enco 30 Mill to my list.
Thanks
Ken

Sure thing, Ken, done deal.

I also forgot to mention that even though the new thread is started, the box will not begin it's new journey until sometime in January. With the holidays upon us, we're all way too busy to start this quite yet.

Stay tuned to this station for further developments.

In the meantime: Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and best wishes for the New Year!

Happy New Year to everyone on the H-M Pass Around Box 2018 thread! Bump for a friendly reminder to everyone...if you are interested in participating this year, please notify me or Autonoz! We will want to get the box moving soon!

So everyone is not sitting in the dark I will give an explanation of why the box is not circulating. Not really a big deal. I was waiting and hoping the list would get a little longer before sending the box, but it looks to be pretty stagnant accept for the addition of Redmech. I have the box ready to send and will do so in the next couple of days. Thank you to vtcnc for coming aboard and helping with keeping this thing on track.

I would have though more people would have joined the fun again.

It sounds like fun, but I don't have my lathe yet and am still so new to having this sort of thing at home that I don't have anything to put in it yet. :)

I’m excited to be involved. Seems kind of like Christmas on what could possibly be there that I can use. Look forward to this making its rounds.

I’m excited to be involved. Seems kind of like Christmas on what could possibly be there that I can use. Look forward to this making its rounds.

It is just like how you described! Kind of like Santa delivering a stocking full of tools way before Xmas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back