Pass Around 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if things going in the box would be hobby machinist related and useful ,not things you don’t know what they are.
I felt one mans trash is another mans treasure. The carbide inserts I grabbed maybe had two good corners in the box but I have a tool grinder and a diamond wheel, now I’ll practice how to regrind them to be new agains thanks to whomever added those too.

It would be nice you try to learn about something for once in your life... Instead of insulting a man for putting free $100 bills in a box for you.

Rule 6. No bad mouthing items if they are not up to your standards, be respectful of the previous senders efforts.

I hope that what Cooter meant to say was: Although we weren't sure of their exact application, we thought they looked like valuable (costly) bits and expected them to be useful to another participant.

Last edited:
Ok guys. The rest of us are moving along now. No need to escalate any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got out of the post office. Wish I had a camera to show the girls face when I put on scale. :eek: Priceless! She asked what was in there so I told her. She said she has a father that is a machinist and would be interested so I gave her the site and info on the box. Box is 37# should be there by sat.

And sorry I would have fixed the one thread insert but when I found out after the box was packed and inserts were on the bottom. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone,

Just a quick reminder about sharing information on the forum. Please keep sharing of private contact info such as addresses, phone numbers, email, etc. inside the private messaging system and not on the public threads. One thing to also remember, but isn't always obvious at the time, is that sometimes people will share tracking information on the public thread as well. This then makes the recipient's home address available to the public as well. So please make sure that when you share tracking info, that you do that within PM and/or private email as well.

As a reminder, we ask Pass Around Box members to share contact info with the moderators (@autonoz and @vtcnc). The purpose of this is to make sure we can contact you if something goes wrong with the process (i.e., you are sitting on the box for weeks at a time - yes, it has happened). We DO NOT share this information with anybody. Rather, you are responsible for reaching out the next member on the public list shared at the beginning of this thread to get their address for shipping the box. Again, please do that via PM first and then take it to private email if both parties wish to do so.

Thanks, and PM me with any questions.

Bryan (vtcnc)

Sorry and thanks for editing vtcnc. I had seen another tracking # posted so I assumed that was protocol. :rolleyes: :cool:

The box has lost a few pounds in weight, The look on their face is great especially when you set it on the counter and they go to pick it up. Even with the heavy stickers I think they go like it could not be that heavy.

you can add me back at the bottom of the list even if I do not get to use it for a while I will have fun looking through it.

Wife's only problem is that I do it in the middle of the living room floor.

The most important items I took from the box were ideas, worth at least twice the cost of shipping. A couple of items I want to specifically call attention to...
The ground HSS bits of various shapes and sizes, whomever put those in there, thank you kindly. I routinely mangle bits and having examples (in some cases, large examples) to hold and examine are quite useful in improving my results. Drawings and videos help, but nothing compares to holding a fine example in your hand. Those are still in the box for the next person's advantage as well.

This is what I took. Some may think it's trivial, but I can't tell you how many times I wish I had something better than a paring knife that won't hold an edge in my toolbox. Getting one never seems to make it onto my shopping list so another thank you to whomever placed it there.

pob2018-2.jpg

I put in a "special materials" item, you'll know it when/if you see it. It's value is less than may of the other items in the box, but I thought one of our members might turn it into something interesting. If you make something from it, please post it!

One last note, I allowed a couple of co-workers to examine the box and encouraged them to take something if it was useful to them. Entertainingly, it was some small HSS blanks which I had put in there that got taken due to the destination machine being a Sherline (I replaced them with more).

Edit: It's in the mail with an estimated arrival of Thursday. The clerk said it weighed 48lbs.

The box arrived today.... I'll go through it tomorrow and get it out as quickly as possible.

PM sent to the next member on the list...

-Bear

Hey gang! Just a friendly reminder that there is no rush on getting the box in and out of the shop within a day or two. If somebody has the box for 3-4 days that is absolutely fine. We only ask that if you are going to need to sit on it for longer than that then please notify the group of the status. Radio silence is not helpful for anyone so please communicate!

We have had great participation this year with no mishaps - over 30 members on the list and we are just over the halfway mark on the calendar, so if you want the box for an extra day, by all means do so.

Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back