Pass Around 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is that item top center of the photo?

What is that item top center of the photo?
It's a Farrand Rapid Rule. I certainly had no idea what it was either. At first glance I could see it was a metal tape measure, but couldn’t figure out how it worked. After a couple minutes pondering it made sense when you squeeze the 2 fingers in, this allows the wheel to spin so you can push the tape back in to the circular holder. Actually works quite well. A search on eBay of course showed one that had sold some time back. That’s where I found the directions image. It also stated the manufacture time frame is 1929-1932. I can never turn down a vintage tool. It's now proudly displayed with all my other treasures that must be closely monitored so my wife doesn’t throw them out.
Thanks to whoever put that little treasure in the pass around box!

2.JPG1.JPGFarrand Rapid Rule.JPG

Mike

It is something to think about, although I think there is about three maybe four SA members including me. So guess there would not be much to pass around.
I had given some thought to starting one here in Australia, but postage rates are so astronomical that it just wouldn't work.

Been 11 days guys. Status update on the box please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a Farrand Rapid Rule. I certainly had no idea what it was either. At first glance I could see it was a metal tape measure, but couldn’t figure out how it worked. After a couple minutes pondering it made sense when you squeeze the 2 fingers in, this allows the wheel to spin so you can push the tape back in to the circular holder. Actually works quite well. A search on eBay of course showed one that had sold some time back. That’s where I found the directions image. It also stated the manufacture time frame is 1929-1932. I can never turn down a vintage tool. It's now proudly displayed with all my other treasures that must be closely monitored so my wife doesn’t throw them out.
Thanks to whoever put that little treasure in the pass around box!

View attachment 350791View attachment 350792View attachment 350793

Mike
Yup that was me.

Figured it would of been nice to keep around seeing as its from Berlin NH. But I felt someone else could appreciate it a little more.

Hey guys, finally got my car out of the driveway (the town plows insisted on building a 5' high snow fort in front of my car).
The Pass around Box is safely in the possession of the USPS and on its way to Tennessee!
I got a couple carbide inserts for a holder I had in a drawer, an old Montgomery Wards stamped sheet metal indicator, and a couple small files. Hope everyone finds something useful!
I enjoy this box so much i think we should start at the top when we get through the list. Anyone else?
Regards,
Paul

couple other points: The boxes here in New England change sizes a LOT from summer humidity to Winter dry air. I had to split apart the USPS box , wrap it around the Pass Around Box and hot-melt it back together.
Also, when I shipped it the PO said it was 40lbs. I can't believe the weight limit is 70lbs! that must be a solid chunk of steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back