Pass Around 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Destroy what you're afraid of instead of admitting that you're afraid is a pretty common reaction. Fear is the mindkiller.

Do you find it ridiculous that you often jump when you're standing there and finally notice the thing that wasn't moving, yet aren't scared and have no problem giving a wide berth to something you see coming? I certainly always feel silly when that happens, but chalking up that reaction to our primal predator/prey instincts, a little trick I learned as a zookeeper was to always calmly talk to whatever the scary beast is that I've found, or to the creatures that are terrified of me. Not that they understand by any means, but they hear the inflection (or fear) in your voice and are able to know where you are in proximity to them and what your intentions are. Snakes (like sandworms) do not have great hearing, but they can feel the vibration of your voice and smell as well as see you. Just keep yelling at the snake (and those damned kids) to get off your lawn, and it'll turn away and leave if given the chance and escape route. It's notable that they'll also usually move pretty slowly, so everyone has a clear understanding that we're all trying not to escalate the situation. (Note, this really only works with creatures that don't actually think they can eat you, aren't defending their young, aren't trained to attack, and aren't invertebrates; however I have always had luck with scorpions and web-weaving spiders. It doesn't work on possessed flocks of birds, demon dogs, or cats reanimated in the pet cemetery either.)
Last year i stepped off my dirt bike and almost stwpped on a large Timber rattle snake. Im deaf as a rock and didn’t notice the coiled and ******-off snake shaking its rattle as hard as it could. My buddy spotted it and i gave it some room. While not very common to see, i do see them on occasion and they have always been very docile. This one wanted a piece of me clearly! I did manage a photo but when ever i advance to within 10ft it came towards me. I dont know if it was nesting or what. I have never seen any wild creature so intent on keeping me away. We elected to leave that area of remote woods to it. Had that been in my yard i to may have reacted differently. If calm i would choose relocation. I have strong self-preservation tendencies but in the woods where the critters rule we chose to move on a quarter mile before having our snack in the woods.

Who's next on the list?
I have it ready to ship out.
It gained about 2 pounds.

Interesting items in there!
The 3rd picture, what are these??

Here's what I took out

And what I took out
And what I put in
The 3rd picture, what are these??
Just curious, they are still in the box!!

Attachments

• DSCN8364.JPG
    DSCN8364.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • DSCN8361.JPG
    DSCN8361.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • DSCN8363.JPG
    DSCN8363.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
One of the items in the third photo appears to be a wood boring bit ... kinda a variation on a Forstner bit. That's my best guess.

The other items are linear bushings, similar to the classic Thomson recirculating ball bearings. These might also be a Thompson product. They use a hard, slick polymer for the "glide" surface, rather than ball races. The open "C" shape allows the rod to be supported along its length. That set of 4 bearings (and 2 rods) is sufficient for accurately supporting/guiding an object that moves in one direction.

Nice haul!

I don’t quite know what the spinny looking thing is, but the sleeves over the shafts look like linear bearing guides. You see those in reciprocating slides, robots, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Box arrived safely today after taking a little bath in the rain. Its up to 45 lbs now and ready to ship back out.

Attachments

• 16185170196203220434009955892337.jpg
    16185170196203220434009955892337.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
Looks like it went from Texas to Iowa to New York & now off to Louisiana. That's 5 days per leg including shipping time. I'll do my best to be as speedy! Reckon I missed the mileage guess by a few thousand LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back