patterns/designs in surface with end mills

Creativechipper

Registered
Registered
What sort of unique cuts designs surface textures can you creat with and end mill?

I have seen grooved spirals, rounded curved up facets...

Wondering how these were done and what sort of end mill is used for different patterns designs in the surface of stuff.

Per say your making a knob and you want to fancy it up a bit around the knob and on the pull end of the knob, just an example but not limited to this.

Can you post an example picture(s) of what you have in mind? You can get endmills and router bits in many different shapes. I use carbide tipped router bits in metal all the time. The actual pattern produced would really be a function of the tool path. Using a CNC machine the possibilities are almost unlimited, a manual machine might make it more difficult, but not impossible.

One common version of surface decoration is called "engine turning". It's typically done with an abrasive disk or rod held in a chuck or collet. Example: see here. For best appearance you want the swirls to be evenly spaced. Decorating a large area would be tedious unless you've got a CNC setup.

I have not started yet, but just wanted to know what bits can produce what patterns and what sort of procedure it takes on a manual lathe with a milling vice on my lathe.

Mostly do smaller ornamental stuff like drawer knobs, beads..etc

Another way to approach this might be for you to look through pictures like on google Images and when you see something you like but are not sure how to create, share it here and let people help you figure out ways to reproduce it.

Thanks for the replies , exactly the kind of help I was looking for....

Is there a chart with bits and pictures of what they do to materials with differing techniques?

Back