patterns/designs in surface with end mills

Here’s some engine turning I did on the tunnel plate for my caddy. It’s 1/4 aluminum acts as a frame stiffener driveshaft tunnel and heat shield from the exhaust. Done on the Bridgeport with 2” sanding disc on end of dowel. No one would see this unless under the car. 7BFB2FBF-6C2F-4318-8622-66D786FD19C1.jpeg

Here’s some engine turning I did on the tunnel plate for my caddy. It’s 1/4 aluminum acts as a frame stiffener driveshaft tunnel and heat shield from the exhaust. Done on the Bridgeport with 2” sanding disc on end of dowel. No one would see this unless under the car. View attachment 300478
That is awesome as well! What else did you do?

You mentioned knobs.....here is one I made for the pot on my VFD. It's kinda patterned after a witches hat knob on a Stratocaster.
DSC02079.JPG

So what tools and technique did you all use?

Like the interrupted flutes, knob, grips?

I see these designs but have no clue how to replicate them.

Feel free to post pictures of the tools Bits and describe how its done, PLEASE:cheerful:

I am looking to do a spiral and other textures and patterns that I can learn to increase my design potential.

Here is a video of an attachment designed to do some of the things you might be interested in. Although this thing is too flimsy for metal, attaching a rotary table or a 5C spin index to your cross slide should work fine.

To do the interrupted "fishnet flutes" on the top picture, I used a tool like this:DSC02128.JPG

It's just a straight in plunge from the side, on the centerline using a spindex. The spacing between cuts, the depth and the amount of index will depend on diameter of the cutter and diameter of the work piece. It's best to work that out on a piece of scrap to suit your tastes.
The"dragon scale" flutes in the second pic are done with a 1/2" endmill, much the same way, but the cut is above center and a mating cut is done from the opposite side. Again, the amount of depth and index was specific to the diameter of the part.
The "Shark bite" grips were cut with a 3/16" endmill, just stepped on the height. It takes some math to figure the height of each line of cuts and the end of the cut.

All interesting methods & results! I did a cathedral style on this bass guitar bridge I made. Using a 2" cutter, I would pause, advance 5 turns on the cross slide & pause again.20160725 047 - Copy.jpg

Back