Pay a little more, get a little better machine?

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been conversing with Paul, the Operations Manager at Charter Oak, and am cautiously optimistic about these machines if they are indeed inspected and upgraded like he says.

Bill

Are you considering one of these? I had them in my radar for a bit, but went used in the end. I am sure you know of the precision Mathews line as well? Anyway. Keep us tuned! Thanks for the info. CG

Are you considering one of those Bill? I did read in their specs that the RF45 clone of theirs does have a considerable more Y-axis travel than any of the others.

I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you were looking at stepping up to the smaller knee mill of PM's, the 935. Maybe I am mistaken though.

Mike.

Hey Mike,

I love the idea of the 935, but then I start thinking about how big it is, how much it weighs, etc.. What if I have to move it?

Anyway, the Oak Automation mill has a really nice table size and Y axis travel. And the 3hp VFD is really cool. But...it's still a Chinese mill though... Don't worry, I still have a couple of years to figure this out. :D

Bill

Hey Mike,

I love the idea of the 935, but then I start thinking about how big it is, how much it weighs, etc.. What if I have to move it?

Anyway, the Oak Automation mill has a really nice table size and Y axis travel. And the 3hp VFD is really cool. But...it's still a Chinese mill though... Don't worry, I still have a couple of years to figure this out. :D

Bill

Guys,

Have a look at these... Ask questions and I'll tell you what I can answer... The are the 932/45 Taiwanese units I mentioned before. We've had these under wraps for a while and "Da Man" says it's time to talk about them. The people of this list will have a first crack at them. Matt is unable to take questions about these so, please... don't call him... He's really focused on shipping the 1340's and next week, the 932 and 935's...

IPhone Pics 10-10-13 251.JPGIPhone Pics 10-10-13 253.JPGIPhone Pics 10-10-13 254.JPGIPhone Pics 10-10-13 255.JPG

Ray

IPhone Pics 10-10-13 251.JPG IPhone Pics 10-10-13 253.JPG IPhone Pics 10-10-13 254.JPG IPhone Pics 10-10-13 255.JPG

For what it's worth, it aint that hard to move a bridgeport alone. The easy thing to do is rent a set of machine jacks for 40 bucks and just jack it up and roll it. I just used a engine lift to set it on pipes and a come along to pull it. I'm just saying, dont miss out on what you want when there are ways around them. Or you could build some machine jacks, but renting is so cheap
Hey Mike,

Bill

That looks like a sweet unit Ray.

Just our of curiosity how about some specs. Motor size, XYZ travel, etc.

Mike.

This is subject to update once we receive it and verify but, here's what we have so far. I believe the X-table travel distance is incorrect but this is the info I received.

2HP
50-2500 RPM
R8 Spindle
16mm table slots
5" Spindle travel
Table travel 11.4" x 16.1"
Weight (without base) 890 lbs.

We've ordered only 10 of these for inspection and sale.

Ray

I guess I'll add another machine to the decision matrix. I await you impressions. :)

Bill

Back