Peening studs or nuts

mofosheee

Registered
Registered
Hello HSM

I have an antique motorcycle engine............that's crankshaft has been disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.
Some aficionadoes recommend in addition to using locktite, peening the 5/16" studs and nuts with a chisel as a "one plus" method of locking the nuts to the studs.
I'm thinking the technique would be to center punch the stud/nut interface.
I know someone out here in forum world knows more about this than myself. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank ya'll

Mofo

On VW’s the rod bolts have slot in them and the rod nuts have a lip. Some would use a small square punch to peen the nut lip into the slot. The guy who taught me had me use a center punch to push that lip into the slot. We never even thought of using loctite. Can’t imagine with the proper torque and peening(if you have the same setup) it coming loose.

we always took a center punch and drove the top of the nut into the bolt threads

I've center punched stuff The way you describe that didn't want to stay tight. No problems with them again.

Do they not make metal strap like pieces with tabs that one places under the nets then the tab is bent up after?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back