• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Peerless Power Hacksaw

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
image.jpeg The image.jpeg Hello Everyone, I have been given a power hacksaw made by the Peerless company ,Racine,Wi. This has a pat. Date of May 7,1912. It looks fairly complete so I am going to go thru it and polish it up a bit. Does anyone have any info as far as where I will find model, and or serial numbers? I will post a couple pictures.
This has a beast of a GE Induction motor, 1 hp ,3 phase motor that ,as I see it turns about 854 rpm's. It is apparent that this must have been added since this looks like it was run with a flat belt. The motor has a dual V belt pulley on it and there were 2 V belts on it,with one in place and one not. Hard to believe they would even stay on. My thoughts are finding or making a flat belt pulley to fit the motor and using the proper flat belt. That or run a line shaft. Ski

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Looks like it could be a fun and rewarding project. I love old machinery.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

FOMOGO

Active User
Looks like it should clean up well. May need a bushing or two. I grew up close to Racine, although a little after 1912. Mike

David VanNorman

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
It will be a nice saw when done.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Congrats.
That will be a great saw when cleaned up!

I am currently running two side by side v-belts on the pulley of my mill that is meant for a flat belt. The motor has a double (or triple?) v pulley. It seems to work fine. It is 2 HP.
-brino

I bet it won't take much to get her running, scrap her down or pressure wash her don't think it will hurt it as long as you dry it and oil it up . If she takes 14" blades I've got some and be willing to sell a couple . It looks like she's set up with a coolant system , nice to have on some metals. Good luck , kool to keep the old iron running and working. If you lived closer I'd offer the use of my belt lacer , I can lace up to 6" belts , I have the joiners but not much belting to offer.

TommyD

Registered
Registered
We've got something similar at the skool but we run a taller, thicker blade.

Ski

Active User
A question for the moderators is ,do I have this in the correct category? It definitely qualifies as an Antique but maybe it is better suited for the saw section? ? Please let me know. I have been working slowly on the disassembly. So far I have found one major repair that needs a revisit. I will post pictures of that soon. I sent an email to the Peerless Company which is located in Oshkosh, Wi. I received a reply and after sending several pictures ,I now know for sure that the saw is a Standard model 6" saw. It was built in the 20's. I also recieved quite a bit of info on the machines. There are several versions of it with a 3 and 6 speed models out there,at least. This version is single speed. I would like to power it with a 3 phase motor/VFD so I can vary speed by motor rpm. I found "strokes per minute" info In the manuals/adjustment info I recieved from Peerless. With that info,I hope to determine what RPM motor,pulley combo would be best to get the best speed control and power. I have a extra 3 phase motor with a 1745 rpm rate but not sure how slow I could adjust it using a VFD without affecting the life of the motor so it may or may not be the one I need. I hope someone can answer that. The motor on it is a old heavy beadt,GE induction 3 phase that turns 845 rpms but unsure if it is any good.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
I think this section is just fine, looks pretty vintage to me:)

I would set it up to cut about 50 SPM, that will cut just about anything you stuff in it. It's never going to be a production saw so don't worry about how fast you can cut off a piece of material. Most modern 3 phase motors are happy running between 30 and 90 Hz, which should be plenty of range for that saw.

I have run old motors on VFDs with no problems, but the insulation is not really up to the task.

brino

Active User
Hey Ski,

If it's not already uploaded could you put the manuals/adjustment info you received from Peerless up on the "downloads" section here?

Thanks,
-brino

Ski

Active User
I think this section is just fine, looks pretty vintage to me:)

I would set it up to cut about 50 SPM, that will cut just about anything you stuff in it. It's never going to be a production saw so don't worry about how fast you can cut off a piece of material. Most modern 3 phase motors are happy running between 30 and 90 Hz, which should be plenty of range for that saw.

I have run old motors on VFDs with no problems, but the insulation is not really up to the task.
Thank you Jim, I am thinking you may be right for more than one reason. This machine runs on bushings too, more or less. One babbit on the connecting rod and the other end is brass but it may be a repair. The main shaft has steel bushing. The manual I have calls for a 60 SPM for annealed tool steel, low carbon 100 to 150. The normal SPM listed ( range) for the 6" standard is 100 to 200. We will have to do some more chatting on the motor/speed issue when I get to that point. This is old iron for sure and I see no need to run top speed in my shop. I no longer run top speed either!

Ski

Active User
Hey Ski,

If it's not already uploaded could you put the manuals/adjustment info you received from Peerless up on the "downloads" section here?

Thanks,
-brino
Hi Brino, In the interest of keeping this ok with the company since they are helping me. I will ask for permission from Peerless if it is ok with them to post the whole works in the future. They have been kind enough to offer assistance on a 1920's machine, which is 1st class in my book. In the meantime,if there is something you need,pm me. They told me they had a similar machine in their shop which they sold and that there is another in Pa. If anyone has one of these,Please post a pic.

brino

Active User
Thanks for the reply Ski.
You are being completely fair to everyone. I respect that.
I do not have immediate need for the info, just trying to get such things archived here for future.

Thanks!
-brino

Ski

Active User
image.jpeg Here is a recent picture of where I'm at today. Basically I am cleaning each part as I pull it. I Pulled a few extra today. I will make repairs,prime and paint. Future electrolosis tank is in the background. Next pic may be awhile though. Spring has just about sprung around here so this s going to slow down a bit.

GK1918

Active User
Former Member
Nice find I prefer these than a band saw. Mine is a 1914 Robertson I still can't find out
how the coolant pump is plumbed up.

w.Robertson 1914 No3.jpg

Ski

Active User
Thanks for the reply Ski.
You are being completely fair to everyone. I respect that.
I do not have immediate need for the info, just trying to get such things archived here for future.

Thanks!
-brino
brino, I recieved a reply back from Peerless and they do not have a problem posting it for members. PM info on how you want to proceed. Ski

LeakyCanoe

Registered
Registered
3 cheers to Peerless for doing what's right > building their brand by respecting the past and their place in it, respecting the current crop of vintage machinery admirers, and not trying to monetize everything to bits for another couple of dimes.

...and 3 cheers to Ski for also doing what's right > respecting an outfit that clearly helped him out and unselfishly offering to take the time here to respond to Brino's excellent suggestion that will add to the future wealth of this forum.

Kudos to y'all.

D

Dr Stan

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nice find I prefer these than a band saw. Mine is a 1914 Robertson I still can't find out
how the coolant pump is plumbed up.
Most of the "coolant systems" on these saws consisted of an apprentice holding an oil can full of good old mineral lard cutting oil occasionally squirting some on the blade.

I need to take pics of mine to post on HM.

Ski

Active User
Most of the "coolant systems" on these saws consisted of an apprentice holding an oil can full of good old mineral lard cutting oil occasionally squirting some on the blade.

I need to take pics of mine to post on HM.
Please do. They are intersting machines. This machine has a B&S no"1 belt drive coolant pump. It was seized up but after a good soak It freed up and I was able to disassemble it and clean it out good and repair broken bolt . Broken Bolt was a #12 x 32 thread and I could not find a replacement. I saved the threads but went oversize to solve the weird bolt problem. It is ready for paint.

D

Dr Stan

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
DSCN1553.JPG DSCN1554.JPG

Here's my power hacksaw probably dating some time in the 1920's. Behind it sits my 7' planner.

LeakyCanoe

Registered
Registered
hey Dr. Stan, that's a swell machine and a pretty unusually designed one at that I would submit. The entire sliding top-weight mechanism and ornamental cast iron weight is very unique.

I was very intrigued by yours and looked up the manufacturer on the Vintage Machinery website...there is only one other Acme Power Hack Saw specimen from The West Haven Manufacturing Co. chronicled there and it is a different model than yours. That link follows;

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=17916

You may already know this but if not the catalog they have for this manufacturer has models very similar to yours beginning on page 29...the download link for that is below;

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/5090/6792.pdf

*** Please consider adding yours to the database to assist others as they research this unique piece of vintage machinery ***

ps - Also, my apologies to Ski for adding to any deviation from the original thread here...there are some Peerless machines depicted there too (a much more common unit to come across it would appear !) and I would also submit yours deserves to be preserved for posterity there too once you get the resto done.

D

Dr Stan

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thanks for the info. Could it be I have a sole survivor? I'll have to join and add my saw to the list.

BTW, I picked it up in St Louis for less than $100 ($85 if I remember correctly) on the way back from Richland WA where I picked up my '66 Plymouth Satellite convertible with a 383 HO & torqueflight tranny. Got to get busy on that project.

Ski

Active User
image.jpeg image.jpeg I have the base stripped for the most part. It has a black coating on it that is easy to chip off but time consuming to do so. I flipped it over and cleaned,primed and painted the bottom. It will be on leveling casters next. I need it mobile in my small shop. I also threw a electrolosis tank together and it is happily boiling the junk of the parts.

tertiaryjim

Active User
I also have a peerless hacksaw though it has suffered some damage. Will work to get it running as time permits.
Ours seem to have the same lifting and tensioning mechanisms.
The original motor was long gone when I purchased it but it currently has a 1/2 hp motor and it uses 14' blades.
Because of it's condition I didn't try to run it. Just started tearing it down to find all the damage.
I found what I think is the serial # under the vise handle
Jim

Ski

Active User
I also have a peerless hacksaw though it has suffered some damage. Will work to get it running as time permits.
The original motor was long gone when I purchased it but it currently has a 1/2 hp motor and it uses 14' blades.
Because of it's condition I didn't try to run it. Just started tearing it down to find all the damage.
Jim
Great Jim, Maybe we can help each other out as we go. I am about to roll this over paint the bottom, after it sits and.cures a bit though.

brino

Active User
Hello all,

We finally got the supplied Peerless power hacksaw manuals uploaded to the document section here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/peerless.966/

Thanks to user @Ski and also to Peerless Industrial Equipment Corp. and particularly Mike Paulik at Peerless.

Sorry for the delay, there were some gremlins at work there too.

-brino

Ski

Active User
Jim
Hi Jim, I would be curious to see some pictures of your machine. This machine is not perfect and I have found a couple bad parts,broken castings. I have been cleaning 90 plus years of crud off of all the parts so discovering a few uglies. That said, I am still commited to getting this working.

tertiaryjim

Active User
Here's a view.
IMG_9687 - p.jpg IMG_9687 - p.jpg IMG_9681 - p.jpg IMG_9687 - p.jpg IMG_9681 - p.jpg IMG_9811.JPG
Don't know why the two pics loaded twice.
This has the gearbox. I found three speeds but only saw a six speed listed in the literature you posted. A big thanks for that.
Haven't read all the information yet but it will really help setting up when the saw is ready to run.
The 90 deg dovetails on the saw frame were badly worn and the mating rails worn out. The OB end of the saw frame was broken and repaired by persons unknown. They welded it back 0.140" offset.
Thats the most significant damage found so far but it's gonna take some time to complete.
Though it's only partially disassembled I have taken some detail pics should you need to see something closer.
Because these have adjustable cutting tension and lift on the back stroke they are top of the line.

Ski

Active User
Interesting your saw had a broken saw frame. That is what I found recently on this one. Broken piece is missing on this one. Would be interesting to see both ends of the saw frame with all blade attaching hardware. I have welded cast iron a bunch of times successfully but I am checking into repair options. It needs to be built up and strong so incline to find a professional to do the build up. I have searched for used parts but not one thing found yet.

[6]
[5] [7]