Peerless Power Hacksaw

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
image.jpeg Theimage.jpeg Hello Everyone, I have been given a power hacksaw made by the Peerless company ,Racine,Wi. This has a pat. Date of May 7,1912. It looks fairly complete so I am going to go thru it and polish it up a bit. Does anyone have any info as far as where I will find model, and or serial numbers? I will post a couple pictures.
This has a beast of a GE Induction motor, 1 hp ,3 phase motor that ,as I see it turns about 854 rpm's. It is apparent that this must have been added since this looks like it was run with a flat belt. The motor has a dual V belt pulley on it and there were 2 V belts on it,with one in place and one not. Hard to believe they would even stay on. My thoughts are finding or making a flat belt pulley to fit the motor and using the proper flat belt. That or run a line shaft. Ski

Looks like it could be a fun and rewarding project. I love old machinery.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Looks like it should clean up well. May need a bushing or two. I grew up close to Racine, although a little after 1912. Mike

Congrats.
That will be a great saw when cleaned up!

I am currently running two side by side v-belts on the pulley of my mill that is meant for a flat belt. The motor has a double (or triple?) v pulley. It seems to work fine. It is 2 HP.
-brino

I bet it won't take much to get her running, scrap her down or pressure wash her don't think it will hurt it as long as you dry it and oil it up . If she takes 14" blades I've got some and be willing to sell a couple . It looks like she's set up with a coolant system , nice to have on some metals. Good luck , kool to keep the old iron running and working. If you lived closer I'd offer the use of my belt lacer , I can lace up to 6" belts , I have the joiners but not much belting to offer.

Reactions: Ski
We've got something similar at the skool but we run a taller, thicker blade.

A question for the moderators is ,do I have this in the correct category? It definitely qualifies as an Antique but maybe it is better suited for the saw section? ? Please let me know. I have been working slowly on the disassembly. So far I have found one major repair that needs a revisit. I will post pictures of that soon. I sent an email to the Peerless Company which is located in Oshkosh, Wi. I received a reply and after sending several pictures ,I now know for sure that the saw is a Standard model 6" saw. It was built in the 20's. I also recieved quite a bit of info on the machines. There are several versions of it with a 3 and 6 speed models out there,at least. This version is single speed. I would like to power it with a 3 phase motor/VFD so I can vary speed by motor rpm. I found "strokes per minute" info In the manuals/adjustment info I recieved from Peerless. With that info,I hope to determine what RPM motor,pulley combo would be best to get the best speed control and power. I have a extra 3 phase motor with a 1745 rpm rate but not sure how slow I could adjust it using a VFD without affecting the life of the motor so it may or may not be the one I need. I hope someone can answer that. The motor on it is a old heavy beadt,GE induction 3 phase that turns 845 rpms but unsure if it is any good.

I think this section is just fine, looks pretty vintage to me:)

I would set it up to cut about 50 SPM, that will cut just about anything you stuff in it. It's never going to be a production saw so don't worry about how fast you can cut off a piece of material. Most modern 3 phase motors are happy running between 30 and 90 Hz, which should be plenty of range for that saw.

I have run old motors on VFDs with no problems, but the insulation is not really up to the task.

Hey Ski,

If it's not already uploaded could you put the manuals/adjustment info you received from Peerless up on the "downloads" section here?

Thanks,
-brino

Back