Peerless Power Hacksaw

I think this section is just fine, looks pretty vintage to me:)

I would set it up to cut about 50 SPM, that will cut just about anything you stuff in it. It's never going to be a production saw so don't worry about how fast you can cut off a piece of material. Most modern 3 phase motors are happy running between 30 and 90 Hz, which should be plenty of range for that saw.

I have run old motors on VFDs with no problems, but the insulation is not really up to the task.
Thank you Jim, I am thinking you may be right for more than one reason. This machine runs on bushings too, more or less. One babbit on the connecting rod and the other end is brass but it may be a repair. The main shaft has steel bushing. The manual I have calls for a 60 SPM for annealed tool steel, low carbon 100 to 150. The normal SPM listed ( range) for the 6" standard is 100 to 200. We will have to do some more chatting on the motor/speed issue when I get to that point. This is old iron for sure and I see no need to run top speed in my shop. I no longer run top speed either!

Hey Ski,

If it's not already uploaded could you put the manuals/adjustment info you received from Peerless up on the "downloads" section here?

Thanks,
-brino
Hi Brino, In the interest of keeping this ok with the company since they are helping me. I will ask for permission from Peerless if it is ok with them to post the whole works in the future. They have been kind enough to offer assistance on a 1920's machine, which is 1st class in my book. In the meantime,if there is something you need,pm me. They told me they had a similar machine in their shop which they sold and that there is another in Pa. If anyone has one of these,Please post a pic.

Thanks for the reply Ski.
You are being completely fair to everyone. I respect that.
I do not have immediate need for the info, just trying to get such things archived here for future.

Thanks!
-brino

image.jpeg Here is a recent picture of where I'm at today. Basically I am cleaning each part as I pull it. I Pulled a few extra today. I will make repairs,prime and paint. Future electrolosis tank is in the background. Next pic may be awhile though. Spring has just about sprung around here so this s going to slow down a bit.

Nice find I prefer these than a band saw. Mine is a 1914 Robertson I still can't find out
how the coolant pump is plumbed up.

w.Robertson 1914 No3.jpg

Reactions: Ski
Thanks for the reply Ski.
You are being completely fair to everyone. I respect that.
I do not have immediate need for the info, just trying to get such things archived here for future.

Thanks!
-brino
brino, I recieved a reply back from Peerless and they do not have a problem posting it for members. PM info on how you want to proceed. Ski

3 cheers to Peerless for doing what's right > building their brand by respecting the past and their place in it, respecting the current crop of vintage machinery admirers, and not trying to monetize everything to bits for another couple of dimes.

...and 3 cheers to Ski for also doing what's right > respecting an outfit that clearly helped him out and unselfishly offering to take the time here to respond to Brino's excellent suggestion that will add to the future wealth of this forum.

Kudos to y'all.

Nice find I prefer these than a band saw. Mine is a 1914 Robertson I still can't find out
how the coolant pump is plumbed up.

Most of the "coolant systems" on these saws consisted of an apprentice holding an oil can full of good old mineral lard cutting oil occasionally squirting some on the blade.

I need to take pics of mine to post on HM.

Most of the "coolant systems" on these saws consisted of an apprentice holding an oil can full of good old mineral lard cutting oil occasionally squirting some on the blade.

I need to take pics of mine to post on HM.
Please do. They are intersting machines. This machine has a B&S no"1 belt drive coolant pump. It was seized up but after a good soak It freed up and I was able to disassemble it and clean it out good and repair broken bolt . Broken Bolt was a #12 x 32 thread and I could not find a replacement. I saved the threads but went oversize to solve the weird bolt problem. It is ready for paint.

Back