Peerless Power Hacksaw

hey Dr. Stan, that's a swell machine and a pretty unusually designed one at that I would submit. The entire sliding top-weight mechanism and ornamental cast iron weight is very unique.

I was very intrigued by yours and looked up the manufacturer on the Vintage Machinery website...there is only one other Acme Power Hack Saw specimen from The West Haven Manufacturing Co. chronicled there and it is a different model than yours. That link follows;

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=17916

You may already know this but if not the catalog they have for this manufacturer has models very similar to yours beginning on page 29...the download link for that is below;

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/5090/6792.pdf

*** Please consider adding yours to the database to assist others as they research this unique piece of vintage machinery ***

ps - Also, my apologies to Ski for adding to any deviation from the original thread here...there are some Peerless machines depicted there too (a much more common unit to come across it would appear !) and I would also submit yours deserves to be preserved for posterity there too once you get the resto done.

Thanks for the info. Could it be I have a sole survivor? I'll have to join and add my saw to the list.

BTW, I picked it up in St Louis for less than $100 ($85 if I remember correctly) on the way back from Richland WA where I picked up my '66 Plymouth Satellite convertible with a 383 HO & torqueflight tranny. Got to get busy on that project.

image.jpeg image.jpeg I have the base stripped for the most part. It has a black coating on it that is easy to chip off but time consuming to do so. I flipped it over and cleaned,primed and painted the bottom. It will be on leveling casters next. I need it mobile in my small shop. I also threw a electrolosis tank together and it is happily boiling the junk of the parts.

I also have a peerless hacksaw though it has suffered some damage. Will work to get it running as time permits.
Ours seem to have the same lifting and tensioning mechanisms.
The original motor was long gone when I purchased it but it currently has a 1/2 hp motor and it uses 14' blades.
Because of it's condition I didn't try to run it. Just started tearing it down to find all the damage.
I found what I think is the serial # under the vise handle
Jim

Reactions: Ski
I also have a peerless hacksaw though it has suffered some damage. Will work to get it running as time permits.
The original motor was long gone when I purchased it but it currently has a 1/2 hp motor and it uses 14' blades.
Because of it's condition I didn't try to run it. Just started tearing it down to find all the damage.
Jim
Great Jim, Maybe we can help each other out as we go. I am about to roll this over paint the bottom, after it sits and.cures a bit though.

Jim
Hi Jim, I would be curious to see some pictures of your machine. This machine is not perfect and I have found a couple bad parts,broken castings. I have been cleaning 90 plus years of crud off of all the parts so discovering a few uglies. That said, I am still commited to getting this working.

Here's a view.
IMG_9687 - p.jpgIMG_9687 - p.jpg IMG_9681 - p.jpgIMG_9687 - p.jpg IMG_9681 - p.jpg IMG_9811.JPG
Don't know why the two pics loaded twice.
This has the gearbox. I found three speeds but only saw a six speed listed in the literature you posted. A big thanks for that.
Haven't read all the information yet but it will really help setting up when the saw is ready to run.
The 90 deg dovetails on the saw frame were badly worn and the mating rails worn out. The OB end of the saw frame was broken and repaired by persons unknown. They welded it back 0.140" offset.
Thats the most significant damage found so far but it's gonna take some time to complete.
Though it's only partially disassembled I have taken some detail pics should you need to see something closer.
Because these have adjustable cutting tension and lift on the back stroke they are top of the line.

Interesting your saw had a broken saw frame. That is what I found recently on this one. Broken piece is missing on this one. Would be interesting to see both ends of the saw frame with all blade attaching hardware. I have welded cast iron a bunch of times successfully but I am checking into repair options. It needs to be built up and strong so incline to find a professional to do the build up. I have searched for used parts but not one thing found yet.

Back