Pencil Grinder Recommendation?

I just checked the TX model on Amazon and got a shock at the price, it doesn't even come with the handpiece, at least I now know eBay is a better source for a used one.

I’m a cheap skate and used in good condition is my preferred way to go. I think mine was just the foot pedal and shaft for $80 w/shipping. Just like all us machinists know the accessories is where you get into the $$. But I believe the new ones are made overseas or somebody is selling knockoffs. My old one works perfect.

I have a HF air pencil grinder that has given me pretty good service. Have run it hours at a time using it as a high speed spindle in my mill.

That Dotco looks pretty sweet. From a video I saw it seems reasonably quiet as well. Air consumption is a question--I'd think it would be quite a hog, but one thing I found suggested 1.5 CFM in 15 sec, but I'm not sure what that really means--6 cfm?

After quite a bit of research I'm leaning toward the Dremel 4300. I've decided against an air pencil--too loud and not enough compressor to run one. Looked at Proxxon, and that seems to be quiet and precise with a 0.001" TIR spec (the only TIR spec I've found), but half the current of the Dremel.

Will look for a Dumore and try to find more info on the Dotco (I found a used one for $175), as it's hard to imagine my 4.2CFM compressor able to keep up.

If cost was no object I'd spring for a Foredom brushless micromotor. At $1k, however, I think I'll go for a Dremel since I only use it a few times per month.

I have the HF dedicated to a tool holder. I use it for cutting higbees, funny tasks on the lathe where I need a rotary, and sometimes as a non-ferrous cut off tool.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back