Perfect edges on small thin pieces

Submachine

Registered
Registered
I need to make a 1.37” square .08” thick, out of brass. I have rough cut the pieces to about 1.5”. I have home style grinders and sanders.

How can I quickly get this square? It does not to be perfect but visually should look square.

Thanks in advance

You can prevent tearing or bending of the thin sheet by sandwiching it between two thicker pieces of material. I would rough it into shape as much as I could and finish with a file. Run the file in the direction of the edge rather than across it for a smoother cut. work two adjacent edges first,smoothing them out and squaring them then work on the remaining two edges to take them to the final dimension and parallel with the first two edges.

I would scribe the cut lines and use a sander.

For material that thin a guillotine would be my preferred option.
Otherwise a file and clamp between blocks of hardwood. Although soft brass could be cut with a Stanley knife.

I used a combination of suggestions. I scribed the piece and sanded close to scribe mark. I then used a file, calapers and a square. I didn’t end up using the wood this time simply because this was a thick enough piece that it was not needed.

Back