Personal protective equipment

fernballan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It doesent take long. But think!
I was going to help start a truck and the battery exploded! I was alone when it was early in the morning, and before I found the eyes the shower
And came to the hospital. then I lost half my vision in my left eye

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1598604233138.jpg
    FB_IMG_1598604233138.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 27
So sorry :(. Wish you a speedy and full recovery.

-Mike

I had a big 39 plate 6 Volt battery on a tractor explode on me when I was 17. It had been charging for a few days and I had built a super strong angle iron 'cage' for it, probably saved me, my spanner touched the cage on the final bit of tightening and I learnt the very valuable lesson that the Earth gets connected last.
I was blown about 30 feet along the workshop and hit the wall between two steel uprights about 10 feet above the workbench. Was functionally deaf for a couple of weeks, luckily I was wearing safety googles and ear muffs at the time. The imprint I left in the corrugated iron wall stayed there until the building was torn down.
Years later I saw someone blown clear over two B-trains parked side by side. I treat batteries as if they are loaded bombs.

Very glad you have survived and I hope there will be no lasting damage. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I had a big 39 plate 6 Volt battery on a tractor explode on me when I was 17. It had been charging for a few days and I had built a super strong angle iron 'cage' for it, probably saved me, my spanner touched the cage on the final bit of tightening and I learnt the very valuable lesson that the Earth gets connected last.
I was blown about 30 feet along the workshop and hit the wall between two steel uprights about 10 feet above the workbench. Was functionally deaf for a couple of weeks, luckily I was wearing safety googles and ear muffs at the time. The imprint I left in the corrugated iron wall stayed there until the building was torn down.
Years later I saw someone blown clear over two B-trains parked side by side. I treat batteries as if they are loaded bombs.

Very glad you have survived and I hope there will be no lasting damage. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
I have done it a thousand times and I know that you should put a minus on the chassis. But old cars rust everywhere Then it is easier to connect directly to the battery

I have done it a thousand times and I know that you should put a minus on the chassis. But old cars rust everywhere Then it is easier to connect directly to the battery
It always pains me when I hear a member of this small community is hurt, please keep us informed of your progress and I hope you'll be back on your feet in a couple of weeks, I also hope the doctors will do their best to give you your vision back.

Wow, get better soon Robert. Sorry you have to go through this. Hope you get your full vision back.

Hoping for the best for you.

Sorry to hear that. I have had some similar issues, caused by prescribed medications that I took too many of for too long. Not fun...

I hope your vision recovers. I've never seen a wet cell battery explode violently, it does not sound nice. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Back