PEX and Shark BIte fittings for LP air?

PHPaul

Registered
Registered
I want to run an air line in my basement, but I don't want the (noisy) compressor down there. The idea is to run a line to an external chuck and charge the system from the compressor in my garage.

I know PEX tubing is rated for air, and I'd really love to use shark bite fittings for the ends. They are not specifically rated for air or gases, but this would be regulated to a max of 50 psig, more likely 25. It's for airbrushing and a mist-coolant system for my lathe and mill.

Anybody tried this?

I think at that pressure you would be fine. Just size your line for the distance you will be covering. Mike

I realize that you are planning on running at lower than rated pressure. But even that is has potential for catastrophe when someone other than you decides to take control of the system. I am sorry, I am not a fan of pressurized plastic pipe. Plastic gets brittle over time and when it lets loose, it blast shrapnel everywhere. Just a warning, you do what you have to do.

Nylon tubing is used in the air break systems of over the road trucks, a majority of industrial machinery incorporating pneumatic control systems use plastic tubing as do machine tools.

It is a well proven technology.

Yep if it's indoors and not blasted by the sun's uv it should be fine

Have seen pex in commercial shops for air.
Last was service shop for fire fleet.

They make pex for air service so use it.

Never a fan of the slide on fittings as we prefer the crimp type.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yep if it's indoors and not blasted by the sun's uv it should be fine

If exposed to uv....always choose black.

I work in industrial oil and gas And we use “polyflow tubing” for pressures up to 150 all day long air or gas or liquid it doesn’t matter.

Oh and it doesn’t shrapnel it’s much more flexible than hard pex...it is nylon based.

Buy you a short roll of 3/8” polyflow from a supply company and get a handful of swedgelock fittings (the ones you need) they last longer than diamonds on land.

-greyghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

been running 3/8 "equivalent" pex air line at 125 psi for 7-8 years now w gator-bite type fittings. ... keep all pex out of sunlight

My whole shop has been re-plumbed with pex and all shark bite fittings. It runs 175 psi line pressure and I have had zero problems for the last 10 years.

I like PEX for air lines. However I’d use crimp connections just to be safe. Perhaps you could either rent or borrow a tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back