Phase converter for 16" questions

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm thinking of adding a phase converter to my '42 16"lathe to make it easier to sell. I've had a few looks but it seems the 3 phase motor scares folks away. What would be the most economical converter to add to it? VFD, Static Converter? I don't have an extra idler motor to let go with it. What would be my best plan?

What size is the motor?

I'd say a VFD more so than a phase converter, just because it's smaller, lighter, and doesn't have spinning parts. Other's may disagree.

OK, at 1.5 HP a VFD makes the most sense. Many are available with single phase input in that HP range. Wire to the low speed configuration then just use the VFD to set the high speed.

It all depends on how much money your willing to spend (or expect to recover). You can get an inexpensive static converter for about $75.00. It uses capacitors to generate the 3rd phase just long enough to get the motor started. Once the motor is up to speed it runs on single phase. The downside is that when running the motor only generates about 2/3 of it's rated power.

I've had a 1.5 hp mill and a 2.0 hp lathe running on static converters for years without problems. The plan was eventually run them off the rotary converter that's been setting on the shelf for 2 years now. Since the machines are running fine, and I don't yet have time to install the rotary converter it will probably continue to set on the shelf for a while yet.

Here's a link to a static converter manufacturer in our area. I am using one of their converters to power a Black Diamond drill grinder:

For a single motor that you are looking to sell, My choice would be a VFD hands down. You can get the chineese versions for around $80 on E-bag. I started out with 1, and now have 8 in my shop. I never intended to have so many, but thats the way life is. Looking back, I would still go that route. Its easy to wire them into the machines controls, and you get the variable speed benefit.

Are there any issues running a 2-speed motor with a VFD? Do both speeds still function?

You would have to hook it up differently for each speed, which would require a switch, which is not recommended for a VFD. They can do bad things if the switch is operated while the VFD is on. With the VFD, you can change the speed, making the 2 speeds kinda redundant any way.

OK, at 1.5 HP a VFD makes the most sense. Many are available with single phase input in that HP range. Wire to the low speed configuration then just use the VFD to set the high speed.

Generally a 2 speed motor has lower HP, at the lower speed. I would think it would be better to hook a VFD to the high speed.

If you are selling look at return on investment.

Static converter is by far the least expensive and simple to install.

YES a VFD would be better but only better if not the low buck kind.

You may get a few bucks more with VFD but NET difference would likely be a loss.

The buyer may prefer vector control or other higher dollar stuff and the low end vfd just not there.

The static converter allows lathe to function and limited power can be sold as a safety advantage for a newbie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back